Dorico and Eastwest Word Builder - problem?

Incidentally, East West seem to be having a sale at the moment. I;ve just bought another copy of Symphonic Choirs (which weirdly was cheaper than buying an Additional Licence.)

And Symphonic Choirs now comes with Opus. And Opus is ARM native!

1 Like

this is misleading – Dorico is perfectly compatible with Play 5. The problem is that Hollywood Choirs does not work at all with Play 5 and thus to use HC, you must wait for the Dorico 4 release where Play 6 should work perfectly. If you only want to use Symphonic Choirs, then there is no issue with the current version of Dorico. in which case EWQL can provide you with the final release of Play 5 which is 5.0.6 (or it is probably also still 3rd party site downloadable as well)

I recently discovered a trick to get Play 6 working through Bidule in Dorico 3.5.

Before I had almost instant success with Opus if I hosted it inside a bidule instance; sadly the choirs just don’t act quite right for me in Opus neither in Cubase, nor Dorico (random notes/syllables just don’t act as they should. Sometimes notes play way too soft no matter what I do with CC1, 11, or note velocity. Random syllables double trigger on key release even without any syllables assigned to key-release, etc.).

Fortunately I discovered that both the VST2 and VST3 variants of Play 6 will work if I set up an independent sync source that simply rolls constantly and sync all instances of Play to this instead of the bidule plugin source.

The process is pretty simple.

After starting an instance of Bidule in the Dorico Instrument Rack, and loading some instances of Play 6 inside bidule:

In the bidule tool box create the following:

1. Building Blocks/Sync Creator
  2. Building Blocks/Math/Constant
  3. Set the constant value to 1.
  4. Connect the Value 1 to the Playing Gate pin on the Sync Creator.
  5. Right click and Sync each of the Play 6 instances to this new Sync Creator.

At this point word builder is working for me in Dorico 3.5>Bidule>Play 6!

I find that it performs a bit smoother/better than Opus with the Symphonic Choirs.

A rough score punched in quickly to show it works (not polished at all). Dorico successfully exported the MP3 on its own. Scaled it down to a short clip and faded it out in Cubase so it’ll fit here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial.

Just so you are aware: as has been discussed on a number of recent threads, native support is coming with D4. Ulf was able to work with the developers to pinpoint and correct the issues causing things to glitch. So, hopefully by next week this workaround won’t be required any longer.

True, but for those with Bidule at hand it’s still good to know. There can be a number of advantages in hosting things this way in order to ‘enhance’ the sound design capabilities of our instruments.

Perhaps Dorico 4 will fix things so that all is required is the usual ‘sync to Bidule Plugin’, but this isn’t the case in Cubase for multiple instances of Play. This ‘hack’ is required in Cubase as well to host Play 6 in bidule there. No idea why.

Like I said, thanks for the tutorial. Also, I don’t know why, but when I first clicked on your post, it appeared as a single post on my phone (ie-not a part of this larger thread; I promise I didn’t mean to insult your intelligence; I thought you had started a brand new thread.)

1 Like

No problem. Just adding to the stream of info on the topic. Seems like a good place to document whatever we find.

2 Likes

Quite so.

? :thinking::partying_face:

A solution with work builder in Choir Symphonic and Hollywood Choir ?
It wi’ll be great !

Hello,
Ulf said that they found a bug fix that will be implemented in Dorico 4: check the solution here:

Regards,
Gil.

1 Like

Does anyone have a link to the earlier Opus Player version 1.03. Download. Currently it is on 1.1 and East/West say there is a bug that has developed to do with importing key switches in Cubase/Nuendo 11. 1.03 might not have this bug. So if anyone has a link to 1.03 like the ones to earlier versions of PLAY higher up in this Topic that would be great. I’m on Windows 10 btw.

I am interested in the Nuendo 11 import of key switches because then I could maybe re-export the expression map into Dorico 4 and thereby shortcut some of the work. Thanks a lot.

Here is the link to Opus 1.0.3 for Windows.

Aww great thanks - hope it works - it did in the utube vid i saw.

Happy to report that Opus 1.03 works fine with Nuendo on this. So this bug crept into the later version 1.1 of the player. I’ll give East/West a further nudge about correcting this bug in the next version of the Opus player. Best and thanks again.

is the bug fixed now ? i am ready to write again with Word Builder

Yes, since Dorico 4.0

2 Likes

Thank you Herr Ulf! … i am on 4 now

1 Like

Ulf, will this mechanism also work with other singing plugins, such as SynthV? Or is it up to them to properly parse the incoming data?
FWIW, I actually think that Word builder is pretty close to obsolete now, considering the singing plugins start using AI for their pronunciation…

B.

Hi @YourMusic.Pro ,

what do you mean with “will this mechanism also work with other singing plugs?”
There was a bug in Dorico in that it did not send proper timing information to the plugs, but that gets sent to any plug. Most plugs do not rely on or use that timing info, but WordBuilder really depends on it.
I can’t tell you which other plug might be dependent as well.