Dorico and Hauptwerk

I know Friesach and all the Piotr Grabowski organs. All are 48 kHz sampled, so they are not mixable with 44.1 libraries like VSL :frowning:
Don’t you have the same tuning problem ?

I’ve never tried to drive HW and another library at the same time; it’s always just been HW by itself.

My absolute favorite is the 3 vols of the Bovenkirk Hinsz. I use it with Dorico. It’s completely fabulous. Effervescent! It’s clearly my favorite of all the Milian Digital Audio volumes, for baroque-classical period works.
It is however 48 kHz…
Randy

1 Like

Even when I add a Gt or Sw technique to a new voice, it still plays that voice on the default channel set in Play Mode. Seems that These techniques succesfully change the channel only on the first up-stem voices but not others.

It’s not like that for me, Petros. If I put ‘Sw.’ on a downstem voice, it affects that voice.

That’s weird. I wonder what you are doing differently. The channel change should be pretty simple. I’ve had a problem sometimes that techniques don’t affect the plabyack correctly in all voices.

Hello! I’ve been trying, without luck, to make Dorico and Hauptwerk play together nicely. Thanks to the generous playback template posted here, I can get St. Anne’s Mosely (the Hauptwerk default organ, for which the template given above was designed) to work just fine. But now I’d like to apply it to a different organ (specifically, the Skinner Mt. Carmel organ). I ran into trouble when I tried to make my own individual stop triggers beyond the St. Anne’s triggers.

One thing I noticed: if I hover with the mouse over a playing technique, I’ll see the ID code appear, for instance: (pt.user.grand_orgue_drawknob_4) – where does this text come from? I gather that the designer of the template created it, but where does it get created?

After reading several comments above, it strikes me that perhaps I shouldn’t try to trigger individual stops in Dorico (as Romanos, I believe, correctly points out, I’d have to make an expression map for each instrument). So now I’d like to make a midi trigger for combinations. But no matter what I tried, I can’t seem to do this (and I tried following the instructions for setting up divisionals, above, with no luck).

I’d LOVE some help with this – I wish it were easier to figure out! If anyone can shed any light on the above, or if anyone has gotten it to work, I’d be hugely appreciative. Thank you so much in advance!

Steve

I don’t have Hauptwerk and can’t offer any practical advice on how to use it, I’m afraid, but I can at least answer the question about where the ID pt.user.grand_orgue_drawknob_4 comes from: that’s the internal identifier for a playback technique, which you can edit in Library > Playback Techniques. Presumably this playback technique is referenced by the expression map for the Hauptwerk organ as a means of adding or removing a stop or combination.

Daniel, thank you so much for your reply – quick clarification needed: when I go to Library>Playback Techniques, I definitely see where each technique lives. But I don’t see where the ID text can be entered or edited. I’m just curious what exactly generates that text, and – most importantly – does it matter? Does the creator of the template somehow create that text, or does it simply get generated in Dorico itself? Sorry for my confusion!
Steve

You can’t edit the ID text yourself, because it’s an internal unique identifier managed by Dorico itself, but that shouldn’t matter. Provided you choose the same playback technique with the expected user-visible name both when setting up a playing technique and when creating your expression map, everything will match up.