Dorico crashing on start-up

Thanks, I will have a look. Meanwhile, another crash. This time when it was playing back, the screen froze when it had to change page.
(I will send it to you email as well)

@Ulf , @Derrek , and @dspreadbury ,I looked into it, and it says my graphic card driver is up to date. I already suspected that would be the case because these drivers should update automatically when there is a Windows update. So, in principle I think it is not a Windows driver issue.

Meanwhile, I got another Dorico crash. Dorico closed without me forcing it to close, and I waited to open it again but even so I got the message “Audio engine process died” when I tried to reopen it. And it did not open. Now the Dorico icon is not appearing in the Task Bar, as if it was closed, but when I click on anything in the Task Bar, the Dorico window reappears with the same audio engine died message. It’s been like these for several minutes, so I will have to forcibly close it and I suppose Dorico will not create a new diagnostic report as Daniel said (but I am sending it to Ulf just in case).

Thanks for the new data, @Coe.
But actually it shows the same kind of stack trace again.
It is really weird that apparently only you have such problems with Dorico.
There must be somewhere something different on you machine compared to others.
Can you please press the Windows key and then type info and enter?
The System Information will open. In there click File > Save and then send me the corresponding file. Then I can compare to mine. I have not too much hope, that it will reveal something, but it is worth trying anyway. Thanks

Sent. Thank you.

Btw, another crash this morning. When I tried to reinitiate Dorico, it froze on this message: RSS feed request redirecting to: Dorico

Hi @Coe ,
thank you for the system info. In there I saw that besides the Intel Iris you also have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX3050 Ti GPU. I think it is worth also looking manually for a driver update for that one.

Same thing: Apparently it is already up to date.

But it also says in that window “there may be better drivers on Windows Update or on the device manufacturer’s website.”
So it is worth trying to update once more. I found a video on YouTube which shows you in detail how to do that: How to Update NVIDIA GPU Drivers | GeForce GTX and RTX Drivers on Windows 10/11 - YouTube

Furthermore, one of our engineers wrote me:
"Yes, just weird crashes in OpenGL code, very annoying. I don’t see anything particularly unusual in his system info. I have however seen stuff on the web about Chrome (also using the ANGLE OpenGL implementation layer) crashing with the Intel Xe graphics card he has.

A few things we could try:

1. Get him to run Dorico with QT_OPENGL set to ‘desktop’ in the environment (to try this, use a command prompt and ‘set QT_OPENGL=desktop’ before ‘C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\Dorico4.exe’ or whatever the correct path is)

2. Disable bits of ANGLE on this graphics driver, e.g. the DX11 backend. This isn’t so simple as it involves setting up a JSON file, and we’d first need to know the output of the dxdiag tool to get the driver ID of the graphics card. That’s probably worth having him do: I think it should be on his system, so just typing ‘dxdiag’ into the start menu should bring up the tool, and ‘Save All Information’ will let him save it to a place where he can email it to us."

Could you please also try that out?

After I manually updated the NVIDIA drive, Dorico was working much better, many hours without crashing. However, tonight there was another crash. It happened after I added harmonics and a tremolo with forced duration (I had to do this to have the tremolo in a 3/4). Then, Dorico became very slow, and when I pressed play, it crashed. It may not be the same type of crash as before. I am sending you the diagnostics.

Hi @Coe, thanks for the new data. Unfortunately, it turned out to be that actually it is again the same sort of crash. So we have to go the long way and do what our engineer recommends. I’ll send a direct mail so we can arrange for it.

Hi Ulf.
Dorico was working better after the changes, but then it crashed again twice.
The second time, there was this message:

DoricoCrashMessage6May2023night

I will send you the Diagnotics, and I will try to do to use the Jason files. Thank you.