Dorico file sharing site

I was thinking about this already. Which CC license specifically should I choose?

It is tedious having to deal with such questions, but there is probably no way around it, otherwise sooner or later there will be a rude awakening. The interests of the uploaders may be different. Some may care how their files are used: non commercial, no derivative, passing on only if the author is named etc., others may not care at all.

I’d advocate for Attribution CC BY; it’s the most generous license and allows the work to be used as long as attribution is given.

If you’re sharing files on a public website for others to download and use, then why on earth would you upload a file that you then do not want others to be able to use freely?

On my website, I only offer two things: paid scores where I retain the copyright but you are granted printing and performance rights (basically you can do anything save redistribute the files or profit off of them commercially) or “free” scores that can be used and distributed freely. Sometimes I mark them as “commercial printing rights reserved” but I essentially believe that “once the cat is out of the bag…” it’s the internet and the file is free. Of course it will end up in weird places. Those files are a bit like kids: they grow up and go out into the world and navigate it on their own, so to speak, at that point.

5 Likes

You’re probably right, once the files are out, they go their own way. When you say “as long as attribution is given”, does that include that the scores should not be altered when passed on?

I would say - nice idea! But in fact this will open another “Pandora chest” and this site will be full of compositions of any quality just to have “I’m something too” label in individual’s mind. No one will judge what is good and what’s not so good.

So my 50 cents on this will be that whole library of .dorico files would be like background or basement on which there could be built something really beautiful. For example - there could be competitions or something similar, just to have a judgement. In a the panel of judges there could be some known composers of course. Then teachers of schools could listen demo and choose what to take in count. Just not to sit for weeks and listen all thousands of scores.

Ah, yes, it means that everyone who send .dorico file should add a mixdown/export from Dorico. Some of us are using original sounds, some have their own player templates. Anyway before download should be listenable demo, because one single screenshot cannot depict whole piece.

1 Like

As I understand it, the place is not only meant for original compositions, but also for historical editions, scales, excercises and any kind of public domain works, where the engraving part is more important than listenable demos.

Yes, it will definitely have its challenges. The goal is to have a robust search function, some vetting of content, and perhaps an eventual system of elevating certain excellent work.

Also, there will be a built in PDF viewer and a place for an audio demo. At present there is not yet a “Dorico viewer” plug-in.

1 Like

Here is the license @Romanos was alluding to: Creative Commons Licenses - Creative Commons - Research Guides at University of Michigan Library

I agree about this, and it will be clearly stated in the terms of use. So no user will be able to object, since they were required to read the terms before they posted. And they’ll of course be able to remove their content at any time. So I think those things should mitigate against any legal issues.

1 Like

Like @Romanos does, I wonder if there should be two options: one that retains all conventional copyright in the hands of the creator, and the other that is CC. The former would be necessary for original compositions (otherwise, would a composer really wish to post their material?), and the latter would be for things like historical editions.

I’m still wondering if the site should allow the former. While it wouldn’t be the majority of content, I hope, I could see it being a nice option.

1 Like

I think we need to remember the scope of this project: [as I understand it]
It is to share files for others to also have and use, more/less “freely”. It’s not a score selling website.

I don’t share my dorico files of my own compositions because I want to control them. If you want to see/sing/perform the score, you can purchase (or I’ll give you) a copy, but you’re not getting source files that you can then turn around and manipulate and disseminate further.

I cannot really fathom a scenario where a composer would want to share their Dorico file (source document, in effect) with the whole world for free, but still want to retain restrictive copyright. It’s a contradiction in terms, so to speak. The best way to undermine your own copyright claims and ability to control your own document is to share it for free online.

This is supposed to be a freely accessible repository of useful files, very much in the same ilk as CPDL or IMSLP. (Hence my suggestion to adopt a very open CC standard.)

If you don’t want the world to be using your files, don’t share them, or only offer them to particular individuals privately. It’s really that simple.

4 Likes

But for that we already have plenty of sites.

1 Like

The point is to share the Dorico files, not just PDFs or scans.

4 Likes

It was my first thought, that this site will be a good opportunity to learn from other people’s scores.

1 Like

Yes, it will. It will be interesting to see how people set up their scores, especially complex ones, and to learn various hacks, etc. It will also be helpful to look at files that solve a notational problem you’re having, and be able to see how the editor made it work.

4 Likes

@DanKreider hi,
The idea about a website where people could share Dorico projects and sheets on PDF is great! :slight_smile:
If you remember I offered the Dorico team to open such discussion inside the company:

Here I shared many good thoughts in the same direction as yours including the option Dorico to become a free app. Even if it doesn’t, many of the ideas could be adopted by the company. For them it will be much easier to handle such platform, than for you on your own. Even for the company would be much easier to arrange the things with the copyright. Steinberg is probably the most popular company for Music and Audio software, so this service will gain popularity very fast.
Of course if Dorico continues to be paid, then the Pro users should have benefits from Steinberg when using the platform.
Such website should allow the people to sell their compositions, arrangements, orchestrations and educational examples/exercises… Sometimes the people are making new arrangements, or orchestrations in order to lower the copyright fees and to pay only for the composition. So, you won’t be able to escape from arranging the copyright on your web platform.
Actually similar platform as musescore.com is what we need, but better arranged and of course everything should be according to the laws. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just so it’s clear to everyone, Scorico will be totally unaffiliated with Steinberg, and I’m not suggesting Dorico become free. Respectfully, I don’t think that’s a good idea. And Daniel has already said that they’d rather not get into file sharing and hosting.

This is just a site for enthusiastic users to share resources.

2 Likes

While this sounds like an interesting idea, my own wish is that CPDL or IMSLP would accept Dorico files natively. That would keep different file formats collectively in one or two places that are commonly searched by musicians.

1 Like

The CC licenses restrict down the line, but for it to be completely free to adapt and use, I would strongly suggest the CC license with CC and BY. This is the simplest and least restrictive, since you are trying to promote the sharing of these materials rather than host an official site of engraved score for purchase or otherwise.

This is the one I’m planning to use: Creative Commons — Attribution 4.0 International — CC BY 4.0

2 Likes

Hi all, I was planning on contributing my instruments.xml file and the other 2 files needed to add custom instruments to Dorico. I have a bunch of useful things like a 0-line staff, 1-line non percussion staff, a non percussion drum kit, a bunch of other percussion instruments, a few Asian instruments I’ve had commissions to write for, etc.

Does anyone have any instrument requests you’d like to have added to Dorico?

1 Like