Dorico file sharing site

Splitting off this post, I’m considering starting up a site for the sharing of Dorico files and Dorico-created scores. I’d like some feedback on a few things, as well as any ideas I haven’t thought of.

Do you think such a site would be well-trafficked? Should it be moderated? Should it include resources like worksheets and other educational materials?

Cost. Trying to think of a way to cover the monthly development and hosting costs. Do you think something like what Notation Central does with their “pay what you want” button would work well? Users could download for free, but they could be encouraged to make a small donation for the download, half of which could go to the person who submitted the file.

Copyright. I’ve already decided that, at least initially, I wouldn’t want to get into problems with copyright. So everything would need to be either public domain, or copyright owned by the person who submitted it.

Any other suggestions? Much appreciated.

11 Likes

Great idea! I’d certainly be happy for the “pay what you want” (PWYW?) and donate.

Would one of its uses be for “my project is too large to attach here but here is a link to it”?

No, probably not. For simple file sharing, WeTransfer is better. This site will involve thumbnails, moderation, hosting, etc., so I’d want to focus on files that were permanent, or long-term at least. And I’d want users to upload only files that were “finished,” not ones that had issues.

I have mixed feelings about this, Dan. As a place for educational examples and illustrations of problems, I think it is an excellent idea. As a place to showcase music - not so much. Composers who have music registered with BMI or ASCAP will have to be careful, although admittedly most composer web sites include some musical examples. I, for one, am not willing to put my music where it can be publicly accessed - published, really. Calls for scores and competitions often specify non-publication.

1 Like

Please forgive me if I sound dumb but could you describe a potential scenario where I might use it? I’m not sure I understand it’s purpose. I don’t use file sharing services very much at all

That’s fine, I recognize this is not a solution for everyone. It’s meant to fill a present need for the sharing of Dorico files within the community. I don’t expect most of these will be original compositions.

Educational materials (such as worksheets) created in Dorico, scales and exercises, historical editions, all sorts of things!

Stephen posted The Rite of Spring here, the entire Dorico file. That sort of thing is a massive achievement, and an excellent resource. This site would provide a permanent link for such files, as well as an opportunity for users to say thank-you with a small donation if they wished.

5 Likes

I would likely post quite a few historical editions of Bach, Handel, etc. Just stuff I’ve done for fun.

3 Likes

If they aren’t available elsewhere then there is a lot of value. If they are, then I’m afraid I don’t see the point.

1 Like

Perfect - thank you.

I think it’s a great idea. I think only time will tell if it would be financially viable but, with the user base here to get you started, you should be reasonably confident that it will be fine.

That’s fine, it doesn’t need to be useful to everyone.

As a heavy Dorico user and as an active musician, I would love to have the Dorico files available for these sorts of things. Educational worksheets and teaching materials could be easily adapted as desired. Performing scores could be edited and modified.

As I said, I don’t really see this as a solution for composers. It’s rather for educators, performers, engravers, etc.

The main point is to make the Dorico files available. There’s nothing like that at present, that I know of.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of creating a bunch of rhythmic exercises for students. I’d be very keen to submit.

3 Likes

It could be a great place for sharing templates too.

3 Likes

I should add that I don’t have any aspirations of profit. I’ll be happy if it breaks even.

Let’s be honest… for many of us involved in music, it seems like some of our hobbies fund our other hobbies… :laughing:

4 Likes

I think I’d like to see examples of simple scores where the user could examine the various playing techniques used. As they’d be Dorico files, then Halion would be the library by default. But maybe examples using BBC etc would be good too.

Overall I think it’s a super idea as an educational tool.

1 Like

I agree. I often trawl cpdl and IMSLP and wish that the dorico file format was available in both of these places. There have been a few times that I would have shared something on cpdl but they don’t take the format yet. (I need to follow up on this)

2 Likes

Actually, this is something that Steinberg could take on - a Dorico repository/music college where Dorico is used to teach music from beginners upwards. Surely a good business idea to make Dorico the de-facto scoring/production standard? Tutors, given a free copy of Dorico, could produce the material which for either a nominal charge or free, could be available to all.

Hello @dan_kreider to carry on from our PM’s bringing a few points here. The sites for services I run have a PayPal Donate button for support for running costs. You could say this is ‘pay what you like’. I just call it donation. An issue that comes up from experience is that there is a flurry of financial support at the beginning and after a year nobody donates any more, unless you mail all the members and prod them. A perennial problem.

From a couple of points from the original post that started this off, I don’t think this concept is of much interest to professional composers who generally don’t share for IP reasons, but hugely valuable for educational and example purposes.

As to copyright, the way I would deal with this is to simply state the policy in a user Guidelines and Policy page, and enforce it via admin action if violations are found. I don’t think you have to get involved in learning how to be an international copyright lawyer, as it’s pretty clear when something is actually copyright material. This implies the site should support user membership, and an admin interface, not just wide open public access with no accountability.

Speaking with my software architect/developer hat on I don’t know at present of any open source platform that does this exact sort of thing out of the box. I feel that the Musescore library is a very good interface, and so is IMSLP. But I am convinced these are both bespoke software developments.

Regarding scores that are available elsewhere such as IMSLP, I think the intention is to make a repository of Dorico files for use and study, and these are not available grouped for fluent access anywhere at present.

Now here’s one use case that makes a project like this hugely valuable just in this one case: an indexed browsable repository of Expression Maps, instead of having then buried in distinct posts on the Dorico forum, not easily retrieved. Personally I feel that would make it really worthwhile.

I strongly believe that if the site is on a well designed platform and has an attractive and fluent UI that people will use it. I have given this serious thought over the last few days, and sent @dan_kreider a sketch of what I see as user requirements and software platform requirements, and even some estimate of costs.

Most definitely such a site needs membership, moderation, and admin roles, if for no other reason than to avoid being spammed with endless stuff, ads, etc.

I initially proposed in the original thread that I would be prepared to develop this., and that still stands. You could almost bend Owncloud to this purpose, it supports large databases, good interface for uploads and browsing, tags - very important - and search by tag, but it’s not quite exactly right. I self-host OwnCloud and it works great, but something the next level is needed. I am continuing to research what the best platform architecture would be.

In short, a good idea, but it needs to be done well to be a success. To that extent I don’t believe just trying to use Dropbox or other cloud file storage would be a hit with users.

Finally, I’d like to see it curated to assure a certain level of quality - that works are finished and complete for one - but I know that idea will go down like a lead balloon. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is a good idea. I can see great value in a repository of files that showcase/exemplify different features of Dorico.

Somewhere I could go to study say, an example of non-standard tonalities, or see how different expression/percussion maps have been set up and used.

It may even help folks get the best out of their VSTs if they can see how others have set up and tweaked standard scores.

3 Likes

Good thoughts all, thanks.

Just gotta come up with a name. Not sure if it’s allowed to have the full name in it. MoreDor? Scorico? Heh.