Dorico-for-iPad crashed

Great! I copied them back one by one.

Why did Dorico-for iPad crash? It would be terrific to know so I can prevent it from occurring again.

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that question just now, Edna. Under some circumstances that we don’t yet understand, Dorico can fail to re-open a project that was open when the app was last running, and get stuck in a loop that it can’t get out of. We receive the crash logs automatically from some iPads (assuming you choose to allow analytics data to be shared with app developers, which is a choice you made when you first set up your iPad), so we can examine those logs to see if we can identify a pattern.

I’m afraid I must add my name to the others on this thread.

2.3 was already causing significant problems with the filing system, well documented in other topic headings.

I was experimenting with the ‘jump bar’ when the application crashed & now won’t open at all.

I’m very reluctant to re install as I have customised the program over the last few months (since I took the plunge & subscribed). In it’s current state it is unusable.

Maybe the developers could give us some idea how long it will be before we can expect an update to resolve these issues.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that the app is crashing for you. You’d be welcome to try an updated build via TestFlight to see if that will start correctly for you – send me a private message with your Apple ID email address, and I’ll add you to our TestFlight group.

Thanks for your prompt reply @dspreadbury.

In the end I decided to back up my files & try a clean install, which seems to be working ok at the moment. I will certainly consider the TestFlight option if I continue to have problems, thanks for the offer.

Generally I have been very happy with Dorico for iPad & it has been well worth the time I have have invested in learning the program, although it’s been a steep leaning curve, not being familiar with the desktop version.

Hopefully the issues with 2.3 will be sorted out soon.

UPDATE

I reinstalled Dorico & it worked ok for a couple of hours, although I could no longer backup my Dorico project file by emailing or messaging it to myself. This proved an issue when the application crashed completely & I lost all the work I had done, although it may still be in an invisible iCloud folder apparently. There was a clue that something was amiss when I saw I had 14 copies of the same file, created at the same time in my ‘recently opened’ hub!

Initially there was no brown Dorico folder created in either iCloud or iPad local storage, although one appeared in iPad after the crash, containing the project name I’d been working on, but the file only half the size of the original I had loaded. Curious that the default is ‘save to iCloud’ yet it attempted to save to my iPad. At one point my Apple ‘File’ app was completely frozen which has never happened before.

I’ve decided against the TestFlight option, thanks anyway Daniel.

Hopefully some of this information is of use to you.

I did some testing with the beta version of TestFlight and it is working fine or as expected at least, the only thing that at least on my iPad does not work is that when selecting dorico as iCloud storage does not show the dorico folder in iCloud on my iPad, however the dorico folder in iCloud is visible from my Mac mini.

When selecting iPad storage the folder appears correctly in place in the files app on the iPad.

By the way in the beta version the storage selection is done from the preferences within Dorico.

1 Like

This has also happened to me - Dorico for iPad crashing, then refusing to start, and only fixed with a removal and reinstall of the app. Fortunately I didn’t lose any work.

1 Like

Curious that the default is ‘save to iCloud’ yet it attempted to save to my iPad.

In fact this Default storage location option in the Settings app doesn’t take effect for Dorico, and it won’t appear in the next update, to be replaced by an option within Dorico’s own Preferences dialog that will allow you to choose between saving to your iPad’s local storage or to iCloud Drive when starting a new project.

1 Like

I can confirm I also hit this bug. Same behavior and was able to recover by deleting and reinstalling the app.

Hi @slynch

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, issues with the 2.3 update. Hopefully it will be stable for you now. Please post again if you get any other problems, there are lots of helpful people here.

Thanks for this Martin (@Martin_Reyna_Zuniga)

It convinced me to have a go with TestFlight when I read your post (I’d never heard of it before). *

Daniel sent me an authorisation & although it crashed permanently with the project I had been working on, it seems ok now working on something new. As you say, it will save to the Dorico folder on the iPad local storage. Although it turns out I didn’t lose any work, I can’t carry on with the previous project for now.

• For anyone who doesn’t know TestFlight is an Apple app that developers use to test Beta versions of software before they are released to the public on the App Store.

I should mention that after several days the beta version stopped working in the sense that it did not open the app “marked error” when opening.

But as all the files already had them correctly in the dorico folder on the iPad I made the backup by copying those files directly to my personal folder in iCloud, delete the app and reinstall from test fly again and everything works again, apparently this is how this test version works, recommended to make the backup before reinstalling the app in case it fails, this while the official update comes out.

Yeah, thanks Martin (@Martin_Reyna_Zuniga)

I’m very wary of it myself.

I couldn’t export my old project to files/ messages or email, so I have a project where I haven’t lost the file, but it crashes the Beta & even the Beta won’t let me export any new work that I do on it. Kinda takes the fun out of it doesn’t it.

Really hope they sort it all out soon.

That’s strange, with the beta the new files are saved by default in the dorico folder inside the iPad and from there it is possible to move it to any place, even from dorico iPad when you select “share” the option “save to files” appears and there you select the place where you want to save it. Also when you select “share” the option to send the project by email appears, that’s how I was saving my files before the beta version.

Hopefully it will be fixed soon with the official update.

1 Like

Beta’s just crashed, permanently this time.
I’ve already re-installed it once before. A very small project, started inside the Beta & saving locally.
Not sure where to go from here.

Well, what I would suggest is to use the Files app to back up the projects you have been working on, then trash the app and reinstall it via TestFlight.

Ok Daniel thanks. Do I need a new authorisation?

Ok, back up & running. Thanks Daniel.