Dorico for Ipad issues with ICloud

I am trying to set this up, but I find no “Where” option when I go to save my first file to iCloud from my iPad Pro. The file just goes into the iCloud Drive folder at the top level.

There’s no rush on this, as I don’t really use the iPad; the desktop Dorico Pro setup is far more convenient; but I’d still like to have this iCLoud transfer process set up properly in case I ever need it.

Thanks.

If you have expanded the Save dialog to the larger form that shows an embedded Finder view, then the labels are different, but if you choose iCloud Drive in the sidebar on the left, then use the drop-down above the Finder view to choose a location, you should see the “proper” Dorico folder:

You are doing this from the Mac rather than from the iPad then?

Yes, that’s right.

Dear Daniel, now I have done, what you have recommended. I bought the update v4 for Dorico , installed it on a second computer, where Dorico 4 is running. Then I created a new score, saved it on the Dorico ICloud drive. But, believe it or not, it didn’t help . This newly created folder Dorico doesn’t appear on any of my other Mac devices in the ICloud drive and of course it’s content is still not accessible from Ipad Dorico. That means I can see the content of this folder , when I choose the ICloud drive in Dorico ( although the folder doesn’t exist), but all files are grayed out and I can’t load them. What on earth is here going on?

I’m very sorry to hear that, and I’m sorry if you have bought the Dorico 4 update purely for this reason. I hope you’ll find that it provides lots of useful functionality above and beyond the ability to save a project in iCloud Drive.

However, I don’t know why this is going wrong on your device. Do you see the same “Dorico – iCloud Drive” entry in the Save dialog that I show above in the screenshot?

Yes, the Dorico ICloud drive is in the save dialog and I have chosen it. But it didn’t help. The Dorico folder in the ICloud drive is unvisible and unaccessible on other computers. But it turns to be even worse. On my Ipad I have created a score with ICloud drive as storage location. Now I don’t have access to this file on the same Ipad, on which I have created the score! It seems that Dorico is sending this file to the ICloud drive and then it isn’t accessible. That means, I see this file , but it is grayed out and can’t be opened anymore.

Trying to follow your discussion. Please correct me if I do something wrong:

Create .dorico file on Mac
Save under “Dorico - iCloud”
Open Dorico on iPad
Check iCloud Drive - No projects. I was expecting to find this file on my iPad

Create file on Dorico on my iPad (default destination set to iCloud)
Open Dorico folder in iCloud Drive on my Mac
Cannot find a file I just created on my iPad. Hm…

I am on a last Dorico versions on both devices 2.5.0.1074 and 4.3.0.1110 (Nov 13 2022). I hope one day Dorico for iPad will support saving files to a particular Dropbox folder.

No, not exactly correct. When I create a file on my IPad ( which is setup to store files on the ICloud drive) , the file can be found on the Mac computer, which has the Dorico folder in the ICloud. For all other devices, even the Ipad , on which the file was created, the file isn’t accessible.

That project doesn’t appear on your iPad even if you select the iCloud Drive toggle button in the Hub window? It should list any projects that are inside the Dorico folder in iCloud Drive, even if that folder itself is invisible in the Files app.

Dear Daniel, both files didn’t appear while I was testing Dorico on my Mac and on my iPad with iCloudDrive at least 20-30 minutes long today morning. But, as I came home late night today and red your answer, I double checked it again. And…I am able to see both files on both devices: a file I created on my Mac I see on my iPad an an file I created on my iPad - on my Mac. So it does function, just a sync delay was (is?) quite remarkable…

Dear Daniel, the files are visible , when I select the ICloud tab , but they are grayed out and I get an error message, when I try to load them. The folder Dorico on the ICloud drive seems to exist, but it isn’t visible and the files are not accessible. Unfortunately for me it is a neverending delay, that they appear.
Just now the worst case happened. I created a score in Dorico for Ipad and chose " save on this Ipad". Now this score is gone , that means that it also went to the ICloud drive ( although it was unchecked) and now it isn’t accessible anymore. It means , the whole Dorico app is useless for me, because all produced scores disappear in the Nirwana ! I’m kind of shocked!

Certainly things are not working on your device as they should be. Could you attach a screenshot of how the Hub looks with the iCloud Drive tab selected?

Here are two screenshots. The first shows the “I Cloud drive” tab, the second the "recent "tab. You can see that all files on the ICloud drive tab are grayed out and one on the "recent " tab. All grayed out scores exist , but they are not readable. The grayed out score in the recent tab has been created yesterday on this IPad and it suddenly disappearded into the unreachable cloud. The file which isn’t grayed out , was created later. Most probably it will also sooner or later go to the ICloud and will be no longer accessible.

Those files on the iCloud Drive tab aren’t “greyed out”, they just don’t show a specific preview image. Can you try to open one of them again, then after it fails, start a new project, and once the main project window is open, go to the application menu in the top right-hand corner and choose Create Diagnostic Report, which will create a zip file in the Dorico folder inside On My iPad in the Files app. Please attach that here.

here it is
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (87.4 KB)

Thanks. Please allow me to confer with my colleagues, and I’ll come back to you. Can you confirm what version of iPadOS you’re using, and what model of iPad you have?

I use OS 14.8 and Ipad 9.7 and 10.2

Are you able to update to a more recent version of iPadOS, unless you have a specific reason for sticking with iOS 14?

Yes, I have a reason to stick with OS14. IMO the GUI of OS 15 is awful because of the ugly wide borders and the asymmetry. With IPadOS15 Apple has destroyed the nice looking graphic look. But IMO the IpadOS version has nothing to do with the ICloud issue. The Dorico folder doesn’t exist in the files app and on any device except the one, on which it was created .