Dorico for iPad Writing and Arranging Questions

Hello,
I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with an arranging question that I have for the iPad version of Dorico. I am trying to write “kicks over time” (slashes in one measure and then the rhythm in slash notation above that same measure.). However, whenever I try to add the rhythm it always disappears into the slashes and I never see it. Would you please help me figure out how to accomplish this? Also, am I able to write kicks over time and chord symbols in the same measure? If so, how am I able to do that? If you could please let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, Ellis. Rather than using a slash region, which will prevent other voices from appearing on the staff, try instead adding a slash voice to your percussion kit, so that you can write slashes (say) on the middle line of the staff, then add the hits either as a cue or using another instrument.

Hello Daniel,
Thank you so much for your message! If you don’t mind I do have another question. Does it only have to be for a percussion kit? Can I do that same sort of thing for a piano or other instruments? For example, here is a screenshot of what I am talking about, what I am trying to accomplish.

Is there a way I can do this with other instruments as well? Also, am I able to add chord symbols over top of all of that? If you could please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

All the best,
Ellis Hamilton

You can certainly create slash voices on a piano staff as well. RightClick > voices > add voice > new slash voice. You should be able to either chose a voice with no stem or hide the stem in engrave mode.

You can alternatively and equally well just keep the slash region, go to the properties panel and activate „show other voices“. This will show everything that’s on the staff as well as the slash region.

2 Likes

I had missed that. Thank you, @klafkid , for mentioning it.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that!