Dorico for the beginner

Can you tell me if Dorico has a trial period? And what version should I choose for a beginner?

Dorico does have a trial period, as well as a completely free version called Dorico SE. An excellent resource to start learning it is Dorico First Steps by Lillie Harris.

As far as which version you should try, it depends on what you plan to use it for. Are you going to be doing publication that requires detailed manual adjustments and precise work? Are you doing music for orchestra? Could you let us know a little bit more about what you plan to use it for?

I am a strong believer in choosing the trial version for Dorico Pro because, by holding a modifier key (like CTRL/CMD or SHIFT) while opening the program, one can sample Elements and SE as well to see the difference.

1 Like

Even though Steinberg offers ample documentation and free how-to videos, I’d like to recommend a course offered by Groove3, on sale now for only $14. It’s very thorough and step by step, and even though I’m not a new user I’m finding a lot to learn.

Thank you so much for your answers!
I need the easiest version to use. This is for my daughter, she has been making music for a long time. And writes music for her videos, it’s not a professional activity, more of a hobby. I’ve seen on youtube that Dorico makes this process much easier.

I would suggest starting with Dorico SE or Dorico for iPad, both of which are free. There are easy upgrade paths available to versions with more features if you need them.

1 Like