Dorico graphics freezing during playback

Sometimes when I play a passage from the galley view, the Dorico graphics mysteriously stop redrawing on the screen, making it appear that the window is frozen. The program is actually still responding–I can even edit the score, it just doesn’t show me what is going on. If I resize the window frame, suddenly it redraws the current state, and everything looks and works like normal.

My machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 10, and I’m using the built-in laptop screen via CPU graphics. It’s a fairly standard configuration. Other programs are not exhibiting similar behavior, and when the Dorico screen appears “frozen”, other apps are still drawing normally. It may be related to the quantity of audio I/O, since this is a wind ensemble score using Vienna Ensemble, though it’s a relatively small instrumentation and this passage only has 10 active parts.

Yes, we have seen this problem ourselves from time to time, and we intend to get to the bottom of it as soon as we can.

2019 Macbook Pro user here on Catalina 10.15 same issue.
Already downloaded the latest Dorico and it still having the same issue.

Yes, I sometimes see this myself these days on my MacBook Pro when I have two displays connected. It’s a bug in the Qt application framework that Dorico is built upon. Sorry for the inconvenience: usually switching away from Dorico and back again (two quick taps of Command+Tab) should be enough to force the whole window to redraw.

1 Like