Dorico hangs at startup

Hi,

When I launch Dorico (3.5 elements version), under Win 10 64, It hangs (until a Win message ask if I want to quit or continue waiting), when quitting, I eventually get :

Google Photos

When skipping I can launch Dorico again and it works !

Is there any way to shorten that long preocess ?

Thanks for your help.

Dorico finds Waves plug-in during start up and tries to scan them. Because no valid license can be found for the Wave plugs it eventually times out.

The question is, do you have valid license(s) for Waves plugs? Or did you maybe at some stage installed them for trial? In that case it might be a good idea to uninstall them. Otherwise they will be always in the way when starting Dorico.

Thanks for your quick answer !

Yes I have tried waves plugin, but I Uninstall them using Win10.
It seems that it leaves some file or key (?) somewhere.

Do you think uninstalling Dorico anf reinstalling it again will solve the issue ?

No, you need to look for the files that are still around from the Waves installation and delete those.
Start looking in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Do you maybe still have Waves Central installed? If so, use that to uninstall.
Uninstall via Waves Central:
Quit all audio apps.
Launch the Waves Central application: …
Go to the Settings tab.
Under Maintenance, select the products/version you wish to uninstall in the dropdown menu, and click Uninstall.

Thanks,

I checked VST2, VST3 and even VST, no waves related file that I can see.

I used waves central : and it was unable to find any file to uninstall ??

And that message is still coming? Is there under Program Files some Waves folder?

Hi,

It goes this way :
It hangs with

and only change when I click on it after waiting for a long time, and I get an alert from Windows asking if I want to wait more or quit, when I quit I get :

So I skip, and then it closes, and if I start Dorico again it works !

Nothing in Program Files :

Default IME.jpg
Dorico.jpg

Can you please make sure you are running Dorico 3.5.11, by installing the update found here.

Thanks for your reply,

but It says : nothing to do, you already have Dorico 3.5.11.

I don’t know how big the Waves trial is, but I would probably do it this way:
Install again the Waves trial version and then uninstall it using the recommended way via Waves Central. That should also swipe out the offending files. I hope

Hi,

Thanks Ulf, I’ve done that and it still leaves something, somewhere ???

As everything fail, is it possible to uninstall Dorico, give back the license, to “free” it and install it on an other computer ?

T.I.A.

Yes, you can reactivate your license on a new computer, please read https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206530004

Same issue, different situation.
Dorico hangs asking for my wave licenses, which are lawfully purchased. But I often use dorico 4 outdoor and I don’t have my usb where licenses are registred. So finally the program goes and I try to cancel (in the vst plugin section) the directory where my waves plugins are and then restart the program. Nothing happens. The same directories are always there. I can launch the software without any problems only by inserting my usb key.

If you can help me I really appreciate it!

Where exactly are your Wave plug-ins installed? And are they only VST2 or also VST3 plugs? Would be good if you could do Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Both. But I think it doesn’t matter. The problem is that any folder you delete, after restarting dorico it will always be there.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (3.8 MB)

First of all, in the Preferences dialog please take out the path C:/Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 4 from the VST2 search paths list, because in there are no VST2 plug-ins but a lot of other DLLs that slow down the scanning process. But this just as a side note.

Second, from the logs it looks like the Waves plug-ins are all VST3 plugs and therefore it is difficult, because you can not simply make them disappear from Dorico. VST3 plug-ins have a certain specified location where they have to be and Dorico always looks at that location.
What you could do is following. In the location where the Wave plug-ins are currently located, create a new subfolder (e.g. named Waves) and copy them all in there. Then, when you don’t have the Waves license with you, you simply move that subfolder somewhere else, e.g. your Desktop. By that Dorico won’t “see” them anymore. And when you have the Waves license again, you simply move the folder back, before launching Dorico.
It’s a bit tedious but that is basically the only way you can do it.

Just a little bit. Yeah.
However, thank you.