Dorico Help re. retrospective record

Nice to see that Dorico has retrospective record (which, of course, Cubase has had for some time).

I’m wondering what I didn’t quite get here:

The Dorico Help entry for retrospective record ([Retrieving played notes that you did not record]) reads:

1. Select a note or rest on the staff where you want to input the retrieved notes.

All the notes you played on your MIDI device during the previous playback are input on the selected staff, starting from the selected rhythmic position.

This led me to believe that, strangely, what had been “retrospectively recorded” could be inserted at a rhythmic position of one’s own selection.

My experience is that it can only be inserted so that it plays from the precise place where it had in fact been played during the original playback. (While being contrary to what the Help file seems to suggest, this is what one would normally expect.)

I’ve made a note to check this, thanks.

Thank-you, Lillie.

Hi,
I was trying out this feature and following what the manual says, I started playback after selecting a rest on the score, in write mode. After finishing I stopped playback and did the key command combo to get the performance. Nothing happened. There was no icon, as shown/indicated in the manual, anywhere on the write mode screen, to retrieve the performance.
I had to change to play mode and select from the pulldown play menu, the retrospective record option.

This is what the manual says:

So what am I missing?

I’m also using the latest manual version

I’m not sure what you’re missing. Are you able to use regular real-time recording without problems? Does step input from your MIDI keyboard work as expected?