Dorico in manual mode

Is it possible to put Dorico in some sort of manual mode (like finale). In this default automatic mod it is mabye suitable for people who know nothing about musical notation and can not add up the right notes in a measure.

Dorico is like useing a fully automatic camera in a studio with studio lights.

There is force duration (o) to force Dorico to notate the rhythmic values. If you want a software that behaves like Finale, why not use Finale?
Doricoā€™s strength is the quality of the output. It cannot be done without repecting some rules. Take my advice with a grain of salt : Iā€™m a simple user (for 4,5 years).

1 Like

I am not at all against automatic mode. For exampel when it comes to sewing machines I want as much automatic mode as I can get and I still a have big problems.

I want both manual AND automatic mode.

Can you say a bit more specifically about the circumstances where you want to produce something other than what Dorico is giving you? Itā€™s possible that there is already an alternative, or perhaps multiple alternatives, depending on the situation. Dorico is musically semantically driven, so depending on the musical context, different solutions are available.

Here I will describe what I was doing.

First I have some Steinberg products:
UR824
Cubase Pro 10.5
Wavelab Pro 10
Halion 6
So I wanted of course Steinberg Dorico.

(I have used some notation software before.) I now wantwed to trnanspose a christmus pice
(heilige nacht
Jussi Bjƶrling - O Helga Natt - YouTube)
from C to Ass plus fix someother things in this pice.

I managed to enter the notes. But entering the notes was a real pain here. Copying and pasting and rearanging notes made it possille though. Thansposing was very easy.

I now also tested to enter Bachā€™s Gigue from the 2nd French Suite for harpsichord.

First entering the notes. Then I wanted to edit some notes where there are trills and mordents and put these ornamentations in notation. I wanted to experiment with different ways to play these ornamentations.

Here is where it became impossible for me to do that. I then downloaded the free Finale notepad and here I could put these ornametations in notes.

There isnā€™t playback for most of the ornaments, except trills. Is that what is ā€˜impossibleā€™?

Thatā€™s a bit different from saying Dorico is ā€˜too automaticā€™.

Finale NotePad is, I think, a cut-down version of Finale 2014. You will find lots of limitations there, but being automatic wonā€™t be one of them. :wink:
Iā€™d be very surprised if you create your own ornament playback in the full version of the latest Finale, beyond the mordent and trill Human Playback.

No , What I do is exchange the ā€œornament symbolsā€ with notes and when I try to do that in Dorico I can not put the notes in because Dorico mess up everything. But I can do it in Finale Notepad.

By ā€œmessing upā€, do you mean all subsequent notes on that staff get pushed backwards? If so, you have Insert mode active. If you deactivate Insert mode (press I), you can overwrite existing material rather than push it back.

Gorannil, it ultimately sounds like you simply are not comfortable with how note entry works in Dorico.

Inputting grace notes: (dorico manual)

Try any of these videos for more info:
Basic note input

How to start note input (more info)

Time saving input options (long live stream by John)

1 Like

(For the manual entry about inputting grace notes, Iā€™d recommend looking at the most recent manual here.)

Google strikes again!

Yes and also delete and add rests and does everything else You can think of.
I mead ā€œPlease Dear Dorico just do nothingā€ and let me the notes i want in the way I want to. Finale has one limitation : you can not enter to many notes in ameasure. That is OK.

And when I in Dorico I wanted to start with an up-beat-measure I had to choose
between 0.5 or 1 or 2 or 3 beats (the time was 3/8) I wanted 1,5 beat (1/16+1/8).

ā€œGorannil, it ultimately sounds like you simply are not comfortable with how note entry works in Dorico.ā€

No not at all !
It seem to follow the beat in some way. So stupid !

And also when i installed this Dorico I saw that it loaded visual C++
that made me think that this is not a good compilated software.
And Yes it is rather slow hesitating sometimes. Is it really made by Steinberg ?

And also the pro version is about the same price as the steinber pro programs
then there should be possible to enter notation from a scan.

Stupid to your brain, perhaps. Most of us have no issues whatsoever with entering notes, mordents, grace notes, etc. There is clearly something about your current method of entry that is at odds with Dorico; thatā€™s not necessarily Doricoā€™s fault.

We just need to figure out where the hiccup is for you to help you adjust your process so you arenā€™t at odds with Doricoā€™s working model.

Sorry to hear youā€™ve been having difficulties.

Maybe try again, and make sure Insert mode is not active. Dorico is a different application to Finale: it might take a little while to get used to. There are some great tutorial videos on the Dorico YouTube channel, including some of the ones @Romanos linked above.

For your pick-up bar, you can specify any number of beats when inputting using the popover rather than the panel.

When You said that I think I understood why we are so different.
As I said above I also have Steinberg Halion6. Moste every sound here
is for my brain TERRIBLE NOISE. So if You shall compose music with these instruments YES You Mutst JUST follow the beat. Now I think I understand
DORICO. It is not for real acoustic instruments.

Well, for my part I use Dorico with the ā€œsilentā€ preset as default.

Iā€™m really not trying to be insulting, and we are veering dangerously close to that now.

Iā€™m simply pointing out that you are frustrated because you are trying to force Dorico to work like other programs (Finale) and Dorico was designed to work differently from the beginning of its inception. This has led to friction for many first-time users. You said Dorico was ā€œstupidā€ (your word, not mine). Doricoā€™s method is not stupid; there are good reasons behind it.

If you are willing to adjust your working habits and invest a little into how to use the program well, it will pay dividends. But as I said, rest assured, you are not the first person to express frustration with this new method of working. Most of us migrated to Dorico from Finale, Sibelius, or both. We all came with working habits and expected Dorico to behave as they did. It does not. This doesnā€™t mean itā€™s a bad program (and unless youā€™re a programmer, Iā€™d refrain from passing too much judgement about C++), it just means itā€™s different.

In my mind, Dorico is a bit like a car with an automatic transmission; it can do a lot for you and do it well. If youā€™re a stick shift die-hard and thatā€™s all youā€™ve ever driven before, driving an automatic feels weird. (and the reverse is true too)

No we shall not be insulting so I will end with that I am very pleased with my
Steinberg products:
UR824
Cubase Pro 10.5
Wavelab Pro 10
Halion 6

Very well made and works without any problems at all.
Thank You steinberg. Cubase pro 11 is in line for a soon upgrade here.

Press Shift-M then enter 3/8,1.5

For your notated ornaments: Double-click where you want to insert one. Press / (or click the grace note icon), [choose a duration, enter a pitch] repeatā€¦ When done [esc].

It is not difficult.

(and if you do get stuck, the folk here are very helpful)

Youā€™re correct that Dorico isnā€™t intended primarily for audio. Itā€™s not a DAW. However, you can use whatever high-quality sound libraries you want in it. Some users here have posted some really excellent mock-ups.

I could be wrong, but from reading your comments, it sounds like some of your frustration is because Dorico is simply a different type of program than what youā€™re needing (Cubase).

Or from reading your first comment, perhaps you want to compose without a time signature. In that case, Dorico is far MORE flexible than Finale. Have you never gotten the Finale error: ā€œThere are too many beats in this measureā€? :wink:

Anyways, Dorico is every bit a ā€œproā€ software, brilliantly designed and powerful. Itā€™s one of the primary tools by which I (and others) make a living. If youā€™re willing to learn it according to how itā€™s designed, it will pay you back in abundance.

3 Likes