Dorico is not backing up! is it?

Hi,

I have set Dorico to backup every 1 minute up to 30 files!

But it seems when It crashes and I do recover the files don’t reflect in the backup directory. It is now 11:45 EST here and it shows the backup from 11:47 AM. This is what happened to me and I had to rewrite a few hours of work.

I am wondering what is going on! Is Doric really backing up! I hope I am mistaken!
Here is the .gif of what happens after I recover and inside the backup foder!

AutoSave and Backup are two separate functions, and they save files to two separate locations.

Backup saves a copy when you Save. If you don’t save, Dorico doesn’t store a backup.

AutoSave saves with the frequency you specify, but not to the backup folder. On Mac, AutoSaves are stored at ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5/AutoSave

When you close a project normally, or close Dorico normally, Dorico dumps the contents of the AutoSave folder in the Trash. When Dorico is launched, it scans to see if there’s anything in the AutoSave folder: if there is (because Dorico crashed or was forcibly quit), it asks if you want to “recover” (e.g. load those projects from the AutoSave folder).

2 Likes

AutoSave and Backup are two separate functions, and they save files to two separate locations.

> Thank you for the clarification.

Backup saves a copy when you Save. If you don’t save, Dorico doesn’t store a backup.

> So I have to manually go to file and click on Save or use KC to get a backup?

AutoSave saves with the frequency you specify, but not to the backup folder. On Mac, AutoSaves are stored at ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5/AutoSave

> So when I say discard, it doesn’t permanently discard, it goes to the trash folder!

When you close a project normally or close Dorico normally, Dorico dumps the contents of the AutoSave folder in the Trash. When Dorico is launched, it scans to see if there’s anything in the AutoSave folder: if there is (because Dorico crashed or was forcibly quit), it asks if you want to “recover” (e.g. load those projects from the AutoSave folder).

> I wish knew the earlier. I see one of my crucial updates that I lost there!

Yes. Backups just save a spare copy of the file that you are saving using File > Save or Cmd/Ctrl-S.

1 Like

I would also suggest using a longer autosave interval than 1 minute, as saving can take quite a long time if you have a large number of plugins, or plugins that store a lot of data.

1 Like

I suppose the slowness is due to having a saving algorithm/process under the hood and making it seamless! Ok. I make it 3 mintues!