dorico killed my system mac os x

Dorico 1.2, High Sierra

Selected save as from menu. The system froze. Even the beachball stopped. Force quit did not react. Had to kill the system with the start button pressed (mac mini). Then start the system again.

How do you expect users to use a product that kills the system?

An application cannot directly cause a system crash. Drivers, malfunctioning hardware or the OS itself are the only thing that can cause a system crash. (The OS runs applications in a ‘protected’ environment outside of the kernel so that if the application crashes it can just kill the process and carry on. Drivers however are able to run at a privileged level, and if the driver crashes then it will take your system down. If Dorico asks the driver to initialise audio/draw graphics/access the filesystem then that can precipitate the crash, but it’s not Dorico’s fault.) I’d suggest ensuring that your OS and drivers are up to date and perhaps run a memory or disk diagnostic. If you have USB devices then check the connections. I’m sure mac users will be able to suggest ways of doing system diagnostics or how to get information about which driver caused the crash.

If you have any logs that you can extract then post them here and hopefully they’ll shed light on which component of your system is misbehaving. We haven’t had a single other report of a system crash with Dorico which suggests the problem is specific to your system.

If this happened to me, I’d expect a problem with Mac OSX, not Dorico. If you repeat those steps, does it happen again?

I would do some basic maintenance. Try validating and repairing the hard disk with Disk Utility. Use a free utility like OnyX to clear the user caches and repair the Launch Services database. I am no expert on Mac OSX, but I have done these and many problems usually go away.

Agreed, notesetter!

Onyx is excellent.

I’m also running the very latest version of 10.13 - and had no problems, in case that helps. Good luck!

I would advise caution about using Onyx: it provide a GUI front-end for a large range of utilities. Running all of them, in the hope that one will fix your problem is a ‘shotgun’ approach, and can even cause new problems. (For instance, clearing caches will slow your computer down until they are refilled.) You really need to know what the problem is first and run the particular task that might help.

I would recommend EtreCheck, which gives you a report on the state of your computer, and highlights potential problem software. http://etrecheck.com

1. Just because the system crashes when you clicked on Dorico, doesn’t mean that Dorico was the cause.
  2. Not everyone has the same experience.