Dorico Metronome Markings

Hello, I’ve discovered an annoying feature in Dorico: when importing a tempo track only some metronomes are properly written (quarter equal value style). The others appear in a blue rectangle and have to adjust singularly everyone of them down in the properties panel (by selecting “Metronome mark shown”). Moreover! If I do this to, say, a metronome 80.06, Dorico turns it into 80.6!! Anyone?

Welcome.

I don’t know how Dorico makes its decisions about which tempo marks to show when importing MIDI files, but I for one am thankful it does not try to be explicit about every one. There can be hundreds, especially if the score has gradual tempo changes.

The blue rectangles are just signposts showing where the midi tempo changes occur. If they annoy you, just uncheck the option (View>Signposts>Tempo).

When you explicitly show a signpost, Dorico will of course show it exactly as it found it in the midi file (you would probably complain if it did not!). To speed up changing things, you can select multiple signposts and change the properties all at once.

Welcome to the forum @Vibruka .

If you have Dorico Pro, you can change the number of decimal places it will show in each metronome mark: Hiding/Showing decimal places for metronome marks

To make changes to lots of separate tempo marks at once, you could use a large selection method (e.g. the system track) and then filter for tempo marks.

Hello, thank you. I already set for 3 decimals but dorico changes tempos with 0 after the dot. So 60.084 gets 60.84. Why?

Hello, thank you. I actually would like that ALL tempo changes get written down in black and not with blue labels. Tempo changes I make in Cubase actually are the ones I need in the score. How can I do? Do I have to do it manually every time?

You can select one tempo marking, do select more some three or four times, then in the properties make sure"show metronome marking" is ticked.

No as Marc said, you can do them all at once.
Probably the quickest way is to use the system track. Press (alt-t) to toggle it on/off.

Select the first bar of the track (it turns orange), Shift-click the last bar (the orange bar extends). Click the little box at the end of the last bar (This selects everything, including system objects).

Right click (to open context menu) and filter>absolute tempos (This selects all your blue tempo signposts). Open the lower properties panel and check the box Metronome mark shown. All you blue signposts will be replaced with metronome marks!

Thank you, but do you know why Dorico does not write down all tempo changes in black and instead does that only with few of them, leaving the rest in blue markings?

And why does dorico transform, for instance, a 60.084 blue marking into a 60.84 black tempo change, avoiding to show the zero?

I’ve no idea.

Dorico won’t show every single tempo mark in the score by default because it can get awfully crowded when you have many, many tempos in close succession. But they are all imported so that you can decide which you want to show. Probably what you really need to do in such a situation is replace the successive metronome marks with a rit. or rall. of some kind.

If you could attach a project that demonstrates Dorico messing up the display of the metronome mark when it shows it as a printed mark instead of a signpost, that would be helpful.