Dorico not following accidentals of key --

Greetings!
Am I the only who finds that Dorico is changing my accidental(s)? I’m working on a key in F Major/D Minor and it changed all my Bs to naturals. Why? And better yet, as my healing teacher always said, “Asking why is the question of a fool.” So, how can I prevent this from happening.
Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions.

How? When? Under what circumstances did your B-flats change to B-naturals?
How are you entering your music?

Decide what key you want, then enter notes. Dorico will not autocorrect your pitches based on a key signature that’s added retrospectively.

Dorico 3 changed my accidentals when I had used a musicxml file, so I thought that might be a problem with it reading the key signature, but now I am working on a file I created from scratch in Dorico 3.5 and it’s changing my notes into naturals. I am putting the notes in on my Macbook Pro. As I keep working on the piece, it has stopped doing it, so maybe it just needs to get warmed up. :slight_smile:

1. Asking why is the difference between an existence and a life.
  2. Asking why is the reason humanity still exists.

I don’t know what the provenance of your MusicXML file, but I’ve certainly found myself in situations where imported (scanned) MusicXML file have the key signatures out of step with the notes.
For instance, if there’s a C major to D minor key change midway through a system, but the OMR (scanning) software doesn’t notice it until the following system (or possibly misinterprets the D minor key change as being a single flat that applies to one note), any Bs in the previous few bars will be interpreted as naturals. This is a problem with the OMR software rather than with Dorico.

I think that is wrong. Asking why is the reason humanity has invented ways to destroy itself. Rats probably don’t bother to ask why, and they will probably still be around after humanity has gone.

Not trying to get too OT but I think that asking why leads to discovery. What is done with that, whether positive or negative, is secondary. Besides, if we didn’t ask why, we’d have no art, and certainly no music.

I agree that “asking why” is probably what makes humanity human. But that’s not what the original point 2 said :slight_smile:

But that is what I meant with ‘humanity’ in point 2. :wink:

“Why” would we have no music?

Our music would be different. We, our whole world would be different. Is the joy in making sounds, is rhythmic excitement, is the primeval wish to unite in chant contingent on asking “why”?

And if you say that’s not music yet, doesn’t the essence of what distinguishes music from these roots then degenerate to a sophisticated intellectual play?

All I’m suggesting is that asking why or, in a broader sense, asking questions is probably what makes us human. I’m afraid that this becomes a semantic argument until we define the parameters of ‘why’ (and of ‘music’). I was just reacting to the OP’s quote but perhaps I should instead have asked what the OP’s healer meant by this.

Why? :smiling_imp:

Who’s on first?