Dorico not starting up half of the time ...

Just asking: Is that maybe the problem with the Sysnsopos on OSX 10.14. For the copy protection Dorico needs to start the Sysnsopos process and for security reasons the OS does not allow that and prompts you for it. Maybe that prompt is somewhere hidden behind some other window…?

The prompt showed up during or after installation of the 2.2 update and I answered OK, just as I have done the last times when updating!?

Ulf,

Thanks, but my experience is as TootSweet’s: I accepted Dorico’s ‘request’ the first time, expecting it and knowing what it was.

Since I cannot now launch Dorico at all reliably (diagnostics fro the last time I managed it attached…) - despite running eLicenser maintenance twice, should I try adding Dorico to either Accessibility or Full Disk Access, please?
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (519 KB)

To be honest, I don’t know, I am not so familiar with Mac, especially not with 10.14.
But must be an OS thing, because we did not have such problems before 10.14.

No, adding Dorico to Full Disk Access and Accessibility won’t do anything to help.

That’s right. But - as I say - I did have the phenomenon with Dorico 2.1.

Thanks, Daniel!

What does the diagnostics file suggest?

And isn’t it significant that - as the OP entitled the thread - it’s inconsistent?

The diagnostics file suggests that, sometimes, Dorico waits for the eLicenser to tell it that it’s allowed to run, and it never gets the go-ahead, so it sits there hanging, waiting for an answer that doesn’t come. In other words, the diagnostics tell us nothing new.

Thanks, Daniel.

So what do you suggest - could this, for example, perhaps be an anti-virus issue? I use Intego.

Or something that could be cured by re-installing either Dorico 2.2 from scratch; or the eLicensing system etc?

In the worst case, I can just keep trying to launch Dorico whenever it happens.

But I feel sure you’d be happier (as would I) with a more permanent solution :slight_smile:

After trying to start Dorico 3 times, this is my diagnostic report:

Running Mojave and Dorico v.2.2

I should say that I also have problems to launch Dorico 2.2, almost every time I start it I have to force quit and try again, often it starts the second try but sometimes I have to try another third or fourth time

I suspect that there’s a problem with one or other components of the eLicenser system on macOS 10.14. It’s the weekend, and not all of my colleagues are stupid enough to work in their free time like I do, so I can’t provide any more information until I can talk to my colleagues next week. I can’t magically provide a permanent solution in the meantime, so I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Daniel,

Thanks for that. Of course not. I had half a dozen perfect launches in the last 24 hours. Now it won’t launch at all; so I performed the eLicenser maintenances. Still nothing.

Just a thought: I have both soft- and hard (USB) licensers. Could there be a conflict?

What do others who are experiencing this have?

Thanks, too, for tonight’s update of the Steinberg Download Assistant!

Which shouldn’t be too difficult to fix; though I can imagine that this will have to involve other depts. in the Steinberg family.

I am sure you know what everyone’s response to that is :slight_smile: .

Of course not. Whatever you do do and whenever you do it, will be appreciated for sure!

Thank you Daniel! I’ll wait to see if they find something.

Regards Ulrik

To the gentlemen who have that start up problem, I have a request:

For the copy protection scheme Dorico requires another background process to be running all the time, called Synsopos. If the Synsopos is not running already, then Dorico will launch it during the initialisation phase.
Now, if you are starting Dorico and it is stuck, please open the Activity Monitor and have a look for a process called Synsopos. Is it there?

Yes it is indeed in Activity Monitor and my Dorico is not starting. However Synsopos isn’t consuming any cpu at all, this is how it looks:

I was having the hang-on-launch issue yesterday on my flashed 2009 Mac Pro, having not seen this thread.

I opened Activity Monitor and saw the Synsopos process running. From previous experience, I knew it was related to the eLicenser.

If I recall correctly, the order I followed was:

1. Force-quit Dorcio

2. Quit the Synsopos process in Activity Monitor.

3. Launched Dorico. It opened without issue.

Hi!

I had this issue also (or so I think).

Upgraded to Mojave today. Managed to launch Dorico once. Worked on it and then quit Dorico for a while and when I wanted to launch it again it didn’t respond and I needed to Force Quit Dorico several times until it started again. Performed the eLicenser Maintenance also.

I attach the Diagnostic Report from when I was able to start Dorico again.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (644 KB)

I am having this problem as well. I do not use a USB dongle license.

Yes it shows, see attached screen picture.

Hope this helps.

May I suggest that one key to this (I’m still experiencing it) is the fact that it does not happen every time?

Synsopos or no Synsopos (haven’t so far found a correlation), couldn’t there be some other process interfering with Dorico startup only on certain occasions because sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not?