Dorico Pro 3 crashes often

Thanks, Koenraad. I’m sorry that you’re experiencing instability and I hope we’ll get to the bottom of it very soon.

I do have the same problem, maybe another Diagnostics Report can help.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (760 KB)

meixner, can you be a bit more specific about the circumstances under which you are experiencing problems? Your diagnostic logs appear to show a crash in the audio engine that, so far as we know, only occurs when the audio engine is quitting, i.e. when you quit Dorico itself.

Hi folks. I’m having what I believe is the same problem where when I try to save (or sometimes when I’m simply opening a file for the first time after starting up Dorico) it hangs and I end up having to force quit. I do have the most recent update and prior to that update was not having this problem with Dorico 3 prior to this update but would occasionally have it with Dorico 2. Here is my diagnostic report from today if it helps. Thanks!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.14 MB)

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for providing your diagnostics, m7collins. It looks from your logs that Dorico is basically working fine, until it eventually hangs during saving, and it appears that is happening because the VST audio engine has crashed at some point in the last little while. But it does look to be the same kind of crash as we have seen recently with a handful of other users. Unfortunately so far we don’t have any leads on this problem, but we will hopefully have an update soon.

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel! Yeah it is fairly consistent (in fact its happening as I type this). Thanks for the attention to this.

Follow up: Let’s say I’m in the middle of working on a project, have made a ton of edits, and realize that VST has not loaded properly. Is there anything I can do to save or recover the project when it will inevitably crash?

If the audio engine is no longer running, then unfortunately you’re in trouble at that point, because Dorico will still expect to be able to ask the engine for the plug-in data to save in the project when it saves. I’ll talk to Paul about whether there’s any way we could add some kind of time-out so that Dorico will go ahead and at least save the notation even if it can’t save the audio engine data.

I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but my Windows 10 Dorico 3.0.10 is crashing fairly often, in two different ways that may be related. I get the swirly circle that I think means Dorico is autosaving. Then it crashes. This has happened with (1) inputting text, (2) going out of Dorico to look at Chrome browser, then returning to Dorico which crashed. Hope the attached diagnostics is of help, which I created when restarting Dorico.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (430 KB)

There aren’t any crash reports included in your diagnostics file. Please download and run the registry script linked to in the FAQ post Frequently Asked Questions: new users start here - #2 by dspreadbury - Dorico - Steinberg Forums , which will enable crash logging, and then when you next experience the crash, upload the new diagnostics file.

Hi,
has this been resolved yet?
I evaluating dorico 3 and I also experience a lot of crashes (and audio failures) on OS X 10.14.6.
It seems related to opening (and closing) files, I use a lot of MusicXml from Sibelius.
As much as I like the program as such, it’s not usable for me right now…

Diagnostics file is attached.
thanks,
Ben
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (352 KB)

Welcome to the forum, Ben. It appears you are experiencing the same problems as other users with Dorico’s audio engine crashing, which is something we’re looking into urgently at the moment.

Hi, I may have the same problem (Dorico 3.0.10, MacOS 10.14.5). I have attached a diagnostics report from my most recent beach-ball hang. This happened after reopening Dorico after I force-quit it after a previous beach-ball hang, recovering the file, and then hitting Cmd-S to save it.

The previous hang happened when I attempted to play the music using the P key.

I really love Dorico 3 so far, and it would be wonderful if you could fix this. Thank you for your efforts!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (620 KB)

I think I’m having the same problem, have there been any updates on this?

Dorico is freezing after I try to save this project. It only happens with this project. The problem with the audio engine sounds likely, I previously had VSTs loaded but removed them all. That was a few days ago, and I continued working on the project with no problems. Only today I’m finding that I can’t save it.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (964 KB)
Aimless Afternoon.zip (797 KB)

Hi Graham, first of all, the logs tell me that you are still on Dorico 3.0.0 but there is already a 3.0.10 with bug fixes out. So I propose that you first upgrade and see how that goes.
Also, the diagnostics report does not contain any crash dump file. So please refer to following thread for the dump-config (you need to scroll down a bit):

Hi Ulf, thanks for the quick response. I updated Dorico and now the project is saving.

I already ran the dump-config file before creating the diagnostics file. For future reference, is there another step in the process I’m missing? I got the message “the values have successfully been added to the registry” or something like that.

Adding the registry key cannot, sadly, retrospectively create dump files for crashes that have already happened, but having that registry key in place now means that crash dumps will be created for any future crashes you might experience, though I hope you will not experience any.

Ok good to know, thanks!

Im using elements 3.5 and have the same problem. Dorico hangs when ever I get into a complex score. Other than an expensive update, is there a fix to this yet?

Probably best to upload a Diagnostic Report, as mentioned extensively in this thread.

Yours could be the same problem, or it may be something else. The more details you can give, the better.