Dorico Pro 4 launch error: CreateDXGIFactory2 entry point missing in dxgi.dll

Hi all,
I just installed Dorico Pro 4 and I’m getting the following error when I attempt to launch it:

“The procedure entry point CreateDXGIFactory2 could not be located in the dynamic link library dxgi.dll.”

I’m still running Windows 7 (unfortunately) on my desktop computer. Could that be the issue? The installer didn’t complain when I installed Dorico 4.

Dorico 3.5 works fine. I’m wondering if there’s a dependency I need to download from Microsoft to make it work on Windows 7.

Thanks very much for any advice or workarounds.

-Gary

Windows 7 is here certainly the problem and you know, Dorico 4 does not officially support Win 7.
I did a quick google search and found this: 6 Ways to Fix Createdxgifactory2 Could not be Located
Maybe that does help you.

dxgi.dll is part of the Windows OS. The problem appears to be that Dorico 4 is asking for DirectX 12 support, which is not supported on Windows 7 - see this thread on the Qt forum. I cannot see Steinberg reverting this decision - the system requirements are Windows 10 (21H2 or later) and Windows 11 (21H2 or later). Windows 7 has been out of extended support for two years tomorrow. Why compromise video performance and efficiency for the sake of an obsolete OS?

I’m experiencing exactly the same launch failure and message (I’m on Windows 7, and have just installed Dorico 4).
HOWEVER: I just located precisely the .dll file in question – dxgi.dll – in my Windows/SysWOW64 folder:

So it would seem that the problem isn’t that Windows 7 does not have that file.
What might the problem be?

1. That Dorico 4 is looking for that file in another location?
  2. That Dorico 4 is looking for a newer version of that file?

I would greatly welcome any informed feedback on this.

I’m a dedicated Dorico 3.5 user, with a mighty and very stable Windows 7 system. I would gladly move to Windows 10 if all that would be involved were the installation of that OS, but it would be far costlier and more involved than that, since – at the least – it would mean having to buy newer versions of a number of expensive apps.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Uh-oh: even worse – now my Dorico 3.5 won’t load any sounds --received message that (probably because of Dorico 4 installation) Dorico is missing the required file!

Hi @thinkingMusic.ca , well, yes, you have that dxgi.dll but it does not contain the mentioned function. See, the name of the dll stays the same over the years, but with newer Windows versions new functions get added (or even removed) and consequently you are out of luck with Win7, because Dorico asks for that specific function and that is not available in Win7.
So if you want to run Dorico 4, you need to upgrade your Windows to at least Win 10 (21H2 or later) . Sorry for the bad news, but that’s how it is.

Okay – thanks, Ulf.

Altho’, I wonder: were I to find and install the Windows 10 version of that dll – into my Windows 7 – might that do it? (Of course, it could also damage the proper working of Windows 7)

No, I’m afraid that’s very unlikely to be a workable solution, sorry. Dorico 4 genuinely does require Windows 10 21H2 or later.