Dorico runs fine in Windows 11

In case anyone’s curious, I’ve just installed the Windows 11 preview and fired up Dorico, and it all worked smoothly, the license migration and Dorico itself.

4 Likes

I am having a different experience. I got it running and working but I am noticing huge CPU spikes and lots of lag when navigating the score, entering notes and switching between different modes. I did not have the issue in Win10.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @BKMan64. I wonder whether perhaps the issue could be related to device drivers? I would recommend you keep a close eye on the auto-updates for your display and audio drivers.

1 Like

After the last Win 11 update, it appears to be running quite nice, it was definitely a backend/driver thing that has now cleared up.

1 Like

A pity Microsoft is going to knock out millions of users who, like me, have perfectly good Intel Seventh Generation CPUs which are in no way obsolete. It’s the strangest thing I ever heard a company doing. And EOL Windows 10 in 2025, which is not far away. Sigh.

[Apologies for being partially off-topic, but it is a huge issue!]

4 Likes

In a blog post Microsoft considers allowing the installation of Windows 11 on Intel 7th generation processors:

“As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles”

TPM 2.0 must be present - that seems fixed.

Most people are not holding their breath. Seventh Generation chips are specifically ruled out on the requirements list, and that is only Insider trials, and Microsoft makes a big point about Seventh Gen chips being not secure to run Windows 11 in many public press releases and promotions. They may have to do a backflip when some manager at Microsoft wakes up to the damage they are doing to their customer base. It’s all very peculiar to me. Even more strangely some of their top of the line totally current and new Surface books are ineligible also. Which makes even less sense.

I will cease, because this will be a LONG thread, better at Tom’s Hardware or similar.

Strange that a billion dollar company can’t make up its mind about the processor strict requirements.

3 Likes

FWIW, Dorico works fine for me too in Windows 11., but there were a couple of audio hitches. I was getting errors with eLicenser so reinstalling it fixed those. (I’m using the dongle.) I also had to remove and then reinstall the Voicemeeter Virtual Cable. No other issues so far …

1 Like

I force-installed Windows 11 on ThinkPad X230t for testing purposes (3rd-gen i7 with HD4000). Dorico 3.5 runs fine on it. Just my story.

You can try FlexASIO driver (free download from GitHub) instead to see whether the glitch still exists. FL Studio ASIO Driver should be fine, too.

Dorico 3.5 running fine on my Win11 system.

I did have to re-install the E-Licensing and then recover licenses from the database but as of about a week of testing all appears to be fine

1 Like

Wish I could add a question mark to the title :slight_smile: Okay, 6 months later and Microsoft is increasing the nag. Anybody running 11 with Dorico 4.2 with the usual Library suspects? Performance? Compatible with stuff? Steinberg have an opinion? I do see that I roll back to 10?

I’m running Win11, 5950x, 128 gigs and it works great. Using Voicemeeter and a SPL DAC. Using VEPro and MIR 24, and mostly VSL, Spitfire, SWAM, and AmpleSound libraries.

I’ve been running 11 for several months, never a hitch.

Well, except that Dorico prevents laptop sleep in 11, and that didn’t happen in 10. Not a big deal.

Same here, no problem on my end.

I run Win11 on my main machine, and Dorico is absolutely fine for me. I did have some audio issues with my UR22 mkII but that was fixed by rolling back to 2.0.4 of the driver as outlined here. I still have some problems with my printer driver but that’s nothing to do with Dorico!