Dorico sends "on init" and "all notes off" messages only on port 1

I’m working with a VEPro template that uses multiple ports and noticed that “all notes off” message seems to be sent only on port 1. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem the get consistently different behaviour on port 1 and all other ports.

Same applies to “on init” entry in expression maps, it seems to only work when the instrument is on port 1. To clarify, I added a control change (CC13=100) to “on init” and it only worked when the instrument was on port 1.

I would need the “all notes off” message also on other ports to automatically turn off a script when the playback is stopped.

By the way, does Dorico send any information to VST instruments about the state of the playback (if it’s rolling or stopped)? I know that at least the tempo information is not sent in the current version.

Yes, you’re correct that at present Dorico only sends these reset messages for the first port. I’ve made a note of this and we’ll try to address this in a future version.

I’m not sure what kind of information you’re interested in knowing about whether Dorico sends during playback to VST instruments, but it’s correct that it does not send information about e.g. tempo changes at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you, I’d be glad if this was changed in the future version. If “all notes stop” and “on init” messages would be sent on all ports, that would be enough information for my external multiscript to know if playback is running or not in Dorico.

To be honest I don’t really know what other information can be sent (apart from the tempo). It was just the developer of the multiscript referring to some other way to activate it “only when transport is running”.

I also rely on a multiport VEPro setup and just discovered this issue. In expression maps I transferred my Init settings over to Base: Natural and I get the result I want 99% of the time.

Yes, I’ve done similar thing as well. It is actually the ”all notes off” message that I cannot produce on the other ports at the moment. I would need it for a script to deactivate when playback is stopped