Dorico Starts but Doesn't Start

For some reason I cannot track down, some times, when I start Dorico Pro (3.5.12), it appears to start but never reaches the splash screen. Subsequently it will not start until I go into Task Manager and end the Dorico task (not the audio engine, Dorico itself). Any idea what is happening here? It can happen when I have not opened Dorico prior to this even following a restart or boot up.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.8 MB)

May be related, not sure. Quite often Dorico hangs for a few minutes after the splash screen says ‘audio engine died’. I have to end process with Task Manager and restart to get it to work. I have no explanation. Windows 10, 3.5.12, Note Performer 3.2.2. Does not appear to be related to any given project.

I’m experiencing the same issue on a brand new machine. Didn’t have that problem with my old computer.

Several occasions here exactly as you describe!

There is a suspect from the team it depends on eLC, but I’m not sure…: it happens here only with Dorico and not with anyone of all other Steinberg products that make use of eLC :confused:

I’ve had a number of instances of Dorico not even reaching the splash screen (Task Manager shows a Dorico background process just sitting there doing nothing).

Also if I close Dorico and immediately try to re-start, it sometimes fails to find the Audio Engine and hangs as per @Andro

@Janus
What I have been experiencing is not the same.

Sounds pretty similar to me!

No audio-engine implications in my case.

I have two distinct situations when Dorico hangs:

1. on start-up, just like you, and
  2. on shutdown/re-start which is similar to Andro.

(This is not a competition. just sharing experience)

Normally application start-up problems are indeed related to the eLicenser, unfortunately, and there’s not a lot we can do to help. If you’re on Windows, you may find that trying version 6.11 of eLicenser Control Center helps, but equally you may not.

These kinds of difficult to solve problems are one of the reasons why we are working hard to move away from the eLicenser technology as soon as we can.

2 Likes

Are you saying revert to an earlier version of the eLicenser Control Center? Mine is currently 6.12.7.1291.

Yes, that is what Daniel is suggesting — it has been suggested already a certain number of times in the forum, unfortunately. Hopefully we’ll get that new licensing system sooner than later…

Is this recommendation still in play? I just loaded Dorico Pro 3.5 and it will not start properly.

Also, is it possible to launch Dorico without the Audio Engine? Maybe a config file, or command line option. Much of what I need to do right away does not require sound.

Dorico Pro 3.5.12
Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H1, installed 7/15/20, build 19043.1415, feature pack 120.2212.3920.0
i7-4790K, 32GB, 64 bit

Welcome to the forum, @john505. I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems getting Dorico up and running. You shouldn’t need to disable the audio engine to get things going. Can you please open Windows Explorer and go to %APPDATA%\Steinberg, where you will hopefully find a folder called Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64 (or very similar to that – I don’t have access to a Windows machine this morning to check the precise name on Windows). Similarly, you should see a folder called Dorico 3.5. Please zip up both of those folders and attach them here, and we’ll take a look at the logs contained within and hopefully be able to provide a recommendation.

Thank you @dspreadbury . I did send them to Ulf by email at some point (it is now 1am in SoCal). Attach…ummm…
Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64.zip (95.6 KB)
Hopefully that is what you requested and how to upload it…

Thanks!

…john

PS. I was able to get some dumps. I haven’t figured out how to read them yet. But, in case there are some super-windows-admins …
VSTAudioEngine3.DMP
vstscanner.DMP
too big to upload… sigh…

@john505 please zip up the dump files and send me via mail. You have my address. If still too big you could use some service like DropBox or I can send you a link for an upload.

Thank you all.

Ulf worked with me off forum to get me up and running.

It looks like it may have been related to UAC User Access Control on my version of Windows 10. Windows 10 Enterprise.

Since it is working and I have work to do on it, I am going to continue to use it. I hope to go back and find out what exactly needed to be done (running Dorico as Administrator I believe) to get it to work in my case.

Best wishes everyone… and Thank You (especially to Ulf).

…john

1 Like