Dorico Stop Combination of Rests in Divisi Part (One Spot)

Hello all, I’ve been wrapping my head around Dorico Pro 5 these past few weeks, coming from almost 20 years of experience in Finale and I’m loving it.
I’ve been trying to faithfully recreate scores and I’ve found something I’m having a lot of trouble replicating, regardless of how correct or incorrect it may or may not be.

This is the source material I’m trying to replicate. Bassoon, bass clef, 2 flats, for what it’s worth.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 091352

What I’m trying to achieve is the quarter rests on beat two in both voices. Currently Dorico is amalgamating the rests into a single rest for both voices, (I am using divisi staves in the bassoon) which in some cases is fine, but in this specific case, I want to override this and show both.
Going into Notation Options > Rests > Rest Positioning, and selecting “Show every rest in each voice” under ‘Coincident rests of the same duration in opposing voices’, achieves what I’m after, but I don’t want this to change in other spots in the score.

I just want to override this single occurrence. There should be some option somewhere I’m missing to be able to do this right?

Any and all help is super appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is what this looks like in page view for me.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 090917

Welcome to the forum, Tanner!

At first I eagerly posted a beginner’s introduction to condensing, but then I saw the divisi change signpost in your screenshot.…

Divisi is for section players such as strings, who all read off the same part. Bassoons will need their own separate parts, so you make two single players in setup, and enter their entire parts (including duplication for unisons) on the separate staves in galley view. Then condensing can combine them properly in the score in page view.

The way divisi changes display in the score is: Dorico automatically shows the same music on separate staves for the non-divisi portion of the system. The first divisi change on a system determines how many staves will show.

And then condensing divisi is yet another situation, which I won’t go into here, but is what you appear to have done in your sample.

2 Likes

Ideally, we need to see more of what you’re trying to achieve, and of what you’ve done.

But as Mark points out, it looks like you’re using Divisi to split the staves of one Section Player; but then also used Condensing to merge them back together.

If you’ve come from Finale, then you’r probably used to using separate Layers for each Bassoon, and then making parts from each Layer.

In Dorico, you have to do it the other way round: make two separate Players for the Bassoons, and then “merge” them using Condensing in the Score.

It may yet be possible to select the ‘upper’ rest and move its position in the Properties panel, but there are questions about what you’re doing first!

One way to obtain two quarter rests on beat two:

• Create a new notehead set using a quarter rest as the notehead for a quarter note.
  • Add a quarter note on beat two for the second bassoon and change its notehead to use the new notehead set.
  • Switch to engrave mode, select the quarter note just added, hide its stem and suppress its playback.

3 Likes

John, I was able to achieve this in my score, I did it quickly and didn’t compare it against a normal quarter note rest at the same position, so I would probably want to spend some time in the Edit Notehead dialog in order to clean it up a bit, but this is exactly what I was after. Thank you for the elegant workaround!

Screenshot 2024-05-18 155737

Mark, thank you for the clarification here! I am still trying to wrap my head around certain aspects of the software, and this is one that still causes me a bit of confusion: section vs. single players.

I think I’ll go back in and try to rework the score for two separate individual bassoon parts.

I think the reason I chose section players for this, is that when I was setting up the score that was the quickest way I was able to match appearance to the source material.

Thank you!

Unfortunately part creation from layers in Finale is quite useless for anything with some complexity. I’m loving Dorico for this reason, it handles condensing, Finale does not. In Finale I had to do everything manually, unless it was EXTREMELY simple. I had to have two separate staves for each part hide them in the score and then manually create a condensed stave that was only visible in the score. Quite a hastle, but I did have really great control over the appearance of the score.

Thanks Ben!

Since a couple of you have asked to see what else is going on in this project. Here is the project file. The measure in question is m. 80 in the bassoons.

I’m going to rework this so that there are two single players each for the Oboes, Clarinets, and Bassoons. The file in its current state has the Oboes, Clarinets, and Bassoons as section players.
Mozart KV550.dorico (3.6 MB)

I think Dorico started with the (genius) idea that the ‘Player’ construct should mimic real life players: Single Players can be condensed on the score with other single players. Sections of players can be divided.

2 Likes

There is a way to do this: in Setup mode, create a new Single Player, but the don’t select an instrument – Escape out of the dialog.

You’ll then have an Empty-handed Player. Now, click on the disclosure arrow to reveal the Instrument of your Section Player. Then drag the instrument from one Player to the other.

Screenshot

You should only need to ‘convert’ the first instrument of each pair in this way: you create a 2nd Single Player in the usual way. You can then select the lower staff notes in your Divisi section and move them to the staff below.