Dorico Transpose Instrument Issue

I’m working on writing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 3 in Dorico. I have transposed the horns to E-flat, and I’ve set everything accordingly. However, the horns are distorting the piece; for instance, when the note G is entered for the horn, it is played as B-flat, while in other instruments, it is notated as B natural. This is causing a terrible sound mismatch. Is there someone who can explain where the problem might be?
I don’t speak English, so I translated it with ChatGPT. I hope you understand my problem.

Op. 37 Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor 1.st Movement.dorico (2.7 MB)

Hello. If you want that the notes sounding are the notes you are actually writing you must switch to concert pitch. Click on the text at the left, down. After that you can switch to transposed pitch again and you will be able to see how the score for the horns looks.

I tested the notes written in the transposed key on the concert pitch after transitioning from the transposing instrument, and it became even worse.

I am attaching the project file for you to examine what the issue with the horns is.

I’m working on writing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 3 in Dorico. I have transposed the horns to E-flat, and I’ve set everything accordingly. However, the horns are distorting the piece; for instance, when the note G is entered for the horn, it is played as B-flat, while in other instruments, it is notated as B natural. This is causing a terrible sound mismatch. Is there someone who can explain where the problem might be?
I don’t speak English, so I translated it with ChatGPT. I hope you understand my problem.

I am attaching the project file for you to examine what the issue with the horns is.

Hi @Beety70 – you’ve got another thread up and running on this issue, so try to be patient! Someone will reply to your original thread when they can.

Lots of users here check most, if not every, post: you don’t need to start new topics.

1 Like

I apologize for this. But this is a project that I need to complete within the next week, and I couldn’t find a solution. I really wouldn’t do this if it weren’t urgent. I apologize again.

I am not in my studio right now, I can’t test the project file. You must go to concert pitch and enter the correct notes again, or move them to the correct position, for example, there where a G must be, you put a G. Was that what you did?

Yes, what I did was this, and it became even more incompatible. I’m sure that method is not correct.

Your problem (I think) is the Trumpets. In Setup change their instrument to Trumpet in C no key signature. You will then see that Trumpet 2 is playing Eb rather than the the E!

I’m afraid my issue is with the horns. I tried what you suggested, but the measure of 330 horns is incompatible with the other instruments, and in many places like this, it produces dissonant sounds.

Especially when you are under stress, courtesy is appreciated.

1 Like

I am working in a small score in G major with clarinet in Bb and french horn in F right now and I wrote it that way without issues. Maybe your problem is with the definition of the instrument. I can look at your project at the evening, but here I am now at 10 am. Hopefully someone can look at your file earlier.

I’ll be waiting for you. Hopefully, someone will respond sooner.

You have missed the instrument change needed in measure 288 (Horns in C).

(I still contend you have the wrong Trumpet…
m60

1 Like

You’re right about the trumpets; I fixed them. I can’t figure out what I missed with the horns.

Okay, now I understand. Thank you. One more thing, can I set them to C in measure 228?"

Yes: give the horn players another horn instrument to hold, this time the instrument being Horn in C.

In galley view, move the notes that should be played on Horn in C to the Horn in C staves.

Dorico will handle the instrument change for you.

Be aware though that only the first instrument held by a player can be condensed. If you want to condense both the Horns in Eb and the Horns in C, they’ll need to be held by separate players, with any instrument change indications added manually.

1 Like

Thank you for all the advice. It’s been like torture, but I appreciate all your help.

I’m sorry, I opened your file and I don’t see any problem with horns… But starting bar 62, there are several problems in the trumpets in C (where you forgot to change all E to E♮). And on the following section, there’s a B♮at the bassoon. Here with my corrections.
I am not sure I really have understood what the problem was about… :person_shrugging:
Op. 37 Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor 1.st Movement.dorico (2,7 Mo)