Dorico unbearably laggy with solution!

Dorico has been running incredibly laggy for the last couple of days, even moving the mouse around takes ages for Dorico to respond on any window (properties, Write, Expression Maps, etc.). I kept looking at the Computer Monitor, CPU was barely at 8%, RAM at 6%, with or without VSTs loaded. I even reinstalled the whole program and then it occurred to me… What if something is sending too many signals to Dorico? So I loaded an instance of Kontakt and used the Factory Mulitscript “MIDI Monitor” and there it was! MIDI CC2 was continuously being sent. My MIDI Keyboard has an Expression Pedal which is configured to use CC2, as soon as I unplugged it from the keyboard Dorico went back to being smooth as silk!

I have never had this problem with any other program, I tried it on Cubase and other unmentionable notation programs and despite all of them reporting a continuous CC2 none of them were affected in terms of performance. I thought this would be worth while reporting and seeing if the Devs can come up with a solution… Other than unplugging the cable that is :laughing: !

I think your MIDI keyboard died two days ago when this started :slight_smile:

It doesn’t make any sense to continually send the same value of controller data if you are not moving the controller. When MIDI devices send a continuous stream of data, it’s usually “MIDI clock” data to synchronize multiple MIDI devices on a network, not “musical” information.

Hi Rob, I think you missed the bit about this not being an issue on any other program. The problem really is on the pedal itself, it probably has some dust in the contacts that’s preventing it from getting to a zero point. I might return it since it’s quite new. In any case, I thought it would be useful to have this information on the forum since it’s a weird one and hard to spot…

If you run the pedal with Cubase, are you actually getting hundreds of unwanted CC2 events in your project, or is Cubase set to ignore CC2?

I don’t dispute that other software is better at filtering out data than Dorico (that is a known limitation), but IMO if the pedal isn’t working correctly the solution is fix the pedal, not request that every app you want to use should have an option to handle the broken one!

Hi Rob, the issue here is that of Dorico being affected globally, becoming slow and unresponsive because of yes, possibly a faulty pedal, and not about filtering data. The intention of posting this here is not for the Devs to filter out my (possibly faulty) pedal, but in case other users experience the same symptoms, then using a MIDI Monitor to check for unstable MIDI CCs is one of those things to look for. However, Dorico shouldn’t become so affected by a controller that is not even being used… Other programs don’t seem to care, whereas Dorico is affected entirely: on a properties window, on an option window, on a map window, on Play, Setup, Write, etc. A few years back I had another MIDI controller that had the same issue with one of the sliders if you put it somewhere in the middle. It was annoying if the slider was assigned to something like expression or volume because the sound of the selected instrument would become jittery, but performance was unaffected (I mostly had it assigned to an unused controller like 106).

To answer your question, yes! If I press record Cubase writes hundreds of CC2 messages between 0 and about 24, unless I move the pedal in which case it behaves smoothly until I stop.