I try to use Dorico 5 on a small size Windows laptop, but it’s nearly not useable. The program doesn’t load the demo scores , which means that nothing happens, if I double tab on them in the hub. The app reacts very slowly, sometimes it doesn’t react at all on some key commands. Even it doesn’t react , if I press the start button icon. Is Dorico not usable on small sized PCs? Of course I don’t use heavy scores , no plugins etc. just simple stuff.
My configuration is Win 10, 8GB , 256GB SSD , Intel Pentium N4200 and a touch display 1366*800.
Can you describe what happens here a bit more? Dorico benefits from high clock speeds and multiple cores, so it’s possible your CPU isn’t powerful enough for complex scores, but it should still work correctly, even if slowly.
Can you upload a Diagnostic Report (created from the Help menu)?
The program is like half frozen, that means there is no reaction, when I press any button or icon. The menus are working. I reinstalled the program, but that didn’t help. I installed Dorico 4, which is working fine, but Dorico 5 is totally a mess.
Here is the diagnostic file.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (560.0 KB)
Anyone can help?
An Intel Pentium N4200 might just be too slow and underpowered for Dorico 5 or later, I am afraid. It’s an almost 10 years old ultra low power CPU which wasn’t exactly fast back in the days. In addition, the Intel HD Graphics 505 doesn’t have dedicated graphics memory and the main RAM needs to be utilized. The absolute minimum for Dorico is 8 GB of RAM - without the extra GPU demands.
I really think that the experience you describe is what is to be expected, unfortunately.
Thanks for your answer, but I’m not sure, if this is the answer. I’m also using Cubase 14 and Dorico 4 on this device and they are doing quite well. So, the CPU can’t be so bad. Is there a significant difference between Dorico 4 and 5 regarding the demand of CPU and RAM?
And even if the hardware of the PC is to weak, I don’t understand the behavior of D5 . It’ s just freezing part wise, even the hub window isn’t working properly - without loading any score.
For Cubase 14, too, the specs are below the minimum requirements. We haven’t tested with Pentium CPUs and while there are applications that may work better than others, these devices remain unsupported, and we cannot reproduce or address any specific issues, I am afraid.