Dorico was premature born,and who pay was us!

I would like to know if there’s someone working with Dorico professionally, why am I having profound difficulties in doing that. Even with the update, has numerous fouls that don’t allow usalo in a professional manner. Playback of Dynamics don’t respode all the dynamics. I found out that the Slhurs,and tremolos no play. Even leaving aside the lack of chords,and and large list basic things don’t are implemented yet,thats its not a software “GOLD” like anounced.

and that kind of marketing, as shown in the image is pointed, induces the user to understand that the product is ready for work in profesional scale.
I guess Steinberg need at least explain with users.

Such time that marketing was done exactly to the user, an idiot like me, buy the product and have more breath to develop the program.
That’s not anything honest.
Honest would make a transparent marketing with the status of the program.
Or let the User get a demo to chose…
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 11.59.22 AM.png

These things have been adressed numerous times, allow me to reiterate:

There was, IMO, nothing at all shady about the Dorico marketing, I went into the software fully aware of its limitations, missing features, etc. Those problems were communicated by Daniel right from the get-go and I think that was hard not to notice or be aware of. And the team is super-responsive and super-hard-at-work in order to make Dorico more and more feature-complete and bug-free really fast.

There’s going to be a 30-day-demo from tomorrow (November 30) on.

People are already working professionally with Dorico - indeed, have been from its release. It may not suit everyone’s needs, but what it does do is engrave the music beautifully - arguably to “gold standard”, as it set out to do; it was clear from the outset that the initial focus would be on engraving.

It is becoming tedious to hear of yet another complaint that there has been some kind of con. The development diaries and even this very website for months before the launch made things clear. If people didn’t do their homework, as you would surely expect to do for any major purchase, it’s no-one else’s fault.

Really, there’s nothing more to be said.

AGREED! READ THE FORUM!

I don’t want to beat a dead horse here, but to say that no professional work can be done with it is simply not true. Though it cannot do every kind of work at the moment, it can do a lot. On December 10, my orchestra will perform a light Christmas concert. For it I have composed a 18 minute long work for orchestra and narrator (2222 2200 timp. 2perc harp strings), a collection of singalong Xmas carols, and a few loose string parts for a set we are doing with a youth group. Basically, half of that concert was done with Dorico and the results are rather spectacular. RDSO is a professional orchestra; our guys are pretty picky and have learned to expect top-notch in-house material from me. It’s fair to say that they will be impressed.

I was told what to expect and I certainly got my money’s worth.

I have already replaced it as my composition software of choice. My only problem is the default rests that I wind up with and can’t get rid of in the print or export mode. So, in that since, until I can export or print with errant rests, it is not “professional” and have to still use sibelius between me and the world. But otherwise, as a composition environment, it is far superior to sibelius already.

It’s a bit ironic that somebody is complaining about “no demo version,” just one day before there IS a demo version available.

But hey, this is the age of instant gratification, I suppose :wink:

What hapen with me its that i am doing a big work with a television program, a very large team with several directors. I made an arrangement for a season of a reality. Written for strings ensamble, but before rec with the orchestra i need the approval of the Director General, and when I made copies on audio realized that dorico didnt played the articulations. The tremolos didnt playd the slurs also not. I had to export all for sibelius to be able to aprove with the Director.
This in my case is so bad as to you would be not print the rests.not print the rests its really an unforgivable lapse, thank god that has ever happened to me in sibelius.
I had understood that on 1.0.10 update the dynamics and the articulations would play. I believe they have made the program more oriented to engrave.
Dorico should be excellent for a professional copyist. To work in large teams still lack.
Dorico team is amazing it is no doubt.

no no! It’s not ironic. It’s a matter of time. on day 8 of November 20 days ago I received an email from steinberg saying about Dorico.
I tried the Demo but had not available.
I bought Dorico day 10 November.
If I had the information which would have the demo in a couple of weeks would have wait.
And probably would have wait even more to buy.
I really don’t understand what is the reason some people don’t understand or don’t accept that in many ways the software is with deficiencies.
If on the one hand he’s incredible in engrave,
in the aspect of playing the arrangements,
Prepare a good leed shett with chords is not.
Is very simple, for now,
pick up a kind of profesional but don’t answer the other

and that is when you switch to a new working environment/software? Respect;)

I work predominantly in film and television and have switched completely to Dorico. The only issues I’ve had have been mainly down to a missing user manual & user error, not the software. It’s my understanding that the developers have been absolutely clear all along about what Dorico can and can’t do at every stage and, I have to say, amazingly calm, understanding and polite even when replying to frustrated and angry sounding posts.
Dorico is a score writing & professional publishing software and the playback is good enough to hear how work is going but I would never be able to produce mock ups of performances to the standard required for Directors or producers using ANY score software available. It’s not fair to badly review Dorico because it doesn’t do what you shouldn’t be expecting it to. I’d recommend to anyone needing perfect and realistic playback to export into a DAW after composition is complete and do that job there using samples etc. Already the playback editing possibilities and future plans for this in Dorico leave other software behind in this area.

Are you questioning me and not the faults of the software?
And when you make the switch?
Your question proves that the software is not ready.
Get write the arrangement was not the hard part.
The hard part was the software play correct arrangement.
Do not invert the values of the things my friend!
It’s not me who’s wrong.

Thanks Don!
Thanks so much your time to say something about.

Such information all weren’t on any page or email I have received about Dorico. They could be, Yes, between the lines for those who followed the forums.
But was not clear for me.
These posts should not be a fight but a way to see the different visions of consumers.
And sometimes, hold some users who were unhappy with the status of the program, should not be a problem.
But a respect for who has to monitor, buy the product.
Even, because in no time, i fault with respect anything…
I am one of many people who believe and bought the program.
And wanted to get!
I see this attitude, a respect for steinberg and Dorico team.

I don’t think this should be a serious discussion here…

• As it is a BRAND-NEW software - and still VERY much in development/refinement… to say that it’s not done is not really the whole truth!
  • I just tampered a bit with the DEMO today… and I must say, I’m in the contrary, rather impressed - how far the HAVE come at the moment!

I eagerly await some serious addendum/updates… because - I think it is time for a change for me (after 25 y. Finale).

gogogo, Dorico-Team!

I for one see torcuato’s point. I also am not able to do with it what I need.

Instead of bashing the guy how about just hearing he feels frustrated? It doesn’t do what he was expecting. He didn’t read 4 years of blog posts. I get his anger. It does not beat the other programs yet as advertised.

I am thrilled with what the program will become, and in sure I’ll be able to replace Sibelius with it eventually. But it still doesn’t do for many what they need.

I’m ok with that. But not everyone else is, and I thnk that acknowledging frustration goes a long way to diffusing it.

I can see the frustration of users who expected more from Dorico and, as a fellow human being I sympathise with that, but I can’t understand why anyone should have unrealistic expectations of it when no-one has ever said it would be complete in all its aspects right from its initial release - indeed, quite the opposite.

Sorry - I’m really struggling to understand why a prospective user would fail to do some research on what was in all probability a substantial investment (unless a relatively inexpensive educational cross-grade). I would never buy anything, especially if it was essential to my work, without knowing what I was getting into.

Maybe I was better informed than some, but I bought Dorico on day one, knowing that I would in all likelihood rely on Sibelius for some while yet while I learned to use the new program. That is exactly what has happened, except that the major composition I’m on has meant I have had even less time to get to grips with Dorico than I expected.

In practical terms, what can anyone do to help someone like Torcuato, or the others who are upset for similar reasons? Nothing, I would have thought, except tell them that things will get better, though I doubt that is much comfort. We hear the frustration, but then what? The developers know what they need to do to make Dorico compete on every level and I’m sure they’re working flat out on it.

At least the availability of a trial version should make it less likely that people will be upset with Dorico.

I was questioning your timing in switching to a new platform under deadline stress, not your assessment of the current state of affairs in Dorico, which were always well-publicized and discussed. Sorry for the sarcastic snip, though.

I read in another post that Steinbergs policy of refund seems to be the most arguable thing here. As I wrote in another post I think errors with a major investment can happen, and if a customer is really unhappy and a product is not so extensively useable like it seemed to be to him (“new gold standard”), there should be a generous refund policy, even when that is difficult with software (I always thought programs could be disabled with their next update if a certain licensing code is used which was useable before, isn’t that right?). Yes, you should research better, but people have different temperaments and not all do hours of research even when it would be the sensible thing to do.

And obviously it depends on how long first buyers will get free updates. When you bought Dorico with certain functions in mind and they will be implemented in the first update you will have to pay for, that will be really maddening…

Torcuato wrote that he owns Sibelius and that he works in Brasilia. So he was authorized to buy a crossgrade. My wife is a peditrician, I am a music teacher, we have three children and we live in one of the bigger german cities. I never would have bought Dorico for 550,- EUR and I would have thought thrice before buying it for 300,- EUR because I could not have afforded it with every day prioritizing of spendings and since I own other notation software already. But the blog and the whole perspective of Dorico was so thrilling I decided to get my educational crossgrade. I do not know if Dorico will replace my working horse in due time, but it certainly might and I do wish so since I like it already very much.

When for a man in my situation the crossgrading price needs to be thought about thoroughly, how expensive may it be for some ordinary person who lives in a poorer country like Brasilia?

On the other hand a cheaper price would have not allowed for the probably most experienced and best team in the world of notation to create such a valuable new program.

So I think it comes down to the courtesy of Steinberg to give refunds in really well-founded cases and how long new and completing functionality of Dorico is included in free updates.

I understand your point, but Dorico said in advance of release that a demo would be available about a month after the initial release. Now a language barrier may have resulted in someone’s difficulty translating all of what was said or clearly implied (to a native English speaker) about the program or made him feel it not worthwhile to struggle through it all; but if one already had Sibelius, and the cost of Dorico were a major factor, then it might have made sense to wait for the demo.

Yes, I certainly can agree with that. And I am glad that you see the probable language barrier as a point. As I said: It might be good policy of Steinberg to give a refund in very well-founded cases…

I have to add something to my former post: If I was a professional engraver, I certainly would have spent the crossgrade price without thinking twice. Yet I use notation software mainly for rearranging music for my different groups in school, so the priority was not so high.