Dorico's speed still troubles me

Condensing uses high resources on the CPU and is quite new, needs optimization. I’ve been using Dorico since day 1 (October 19, 2016) and there have been many great improvements made on speed and efficiency by the devs. I think it’s still too early to have a real idea of what condensing might become in the next months, simply by looking at how the software has been improving since it’s born.
The more cores you have, the better (what is clear is you need at least 4 to use Dorico correctly). The rest of the problem is for the dev team to solve.

I wonder if removing the video dll would help the performance problem (at least somewhat).

See: Extremely high energy usage. Dorico 3 - #20 by Paolo_T - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

I’m experiencing the same behaviour by this awesome program. And I’m running an absolut BEAST of a machine, latest pentium multicore processors, 64 GB of RAM, superfast bus speed. And still, Engrave mode is slowing me down substantially.

Sadly, my work computer is a bit anemic (although I do have 16gb ram, thankfully) and I’ve discovered that I cannot even play back SATB with olympus choir. I’ll hear 1/4 of a second’s worth of audio every 5 seconds or so. Just stutters to death. Fortunately for me, I tend not to work on particularly large scores, so day-to-day graphical performance is acceptable, but I realize this is likely because of the manner of small choral works that I’m typically confined to. Nevertheless, I’ve been forced to give up on Dorico playback (curiously, when I try noteperformer it seems to function OK). I can drive the same olympus choir sounds in cubase without issue, so it doesn’t seem to be as much of a computer issue as a ‘how dorico is optimized’ issue.

If the Olympus choir sounds in HALion Sonic SE are glitching then open the Options tab inside HSSE and experiment with the different memory and threading settings. Also ensure you have a larger buffer size in Dorico (Edit > Device Setup)

Choir sounds really give sub-par audio devices problems. Paul’s right about the large buffer; that worked for me (NotePerformer).

The sluggishness of Dorico in Engrave mode with larger and more sophisticated scores is really one of THE few main downsides of the program right now.

I work on a superfast multicore beast of a workstation with 64 GB of fast RAM.
But whenever I am in Engrave mode, having a full score layout window opened, and am doing the final layouting work on parts on score, it’s literally a torturous drag.

This video depicts the typical experience: I’m hiding a condensation label. Time passed from clicking the switch in the panel to execution – almost 9 seconds. And that’s one of the shorter time spans. Sometimes the lag amounts to 15 or even 20 seconds.

=> Dropbox - File Deleted

Eventually, the delay does add up to substantial losses of tim and momentum and without constantly quitting and starting the program up again there is no way to get those delays out of the way. Those delays turn work under tight deadlines almost into an impossible task. At the end of the entire process, in layouting, Dorico becomes a danger for meeting deadlines (as of right now).

I really wish the developers could something about it.

I can tell that this is a very important issue to you, since you posted the exact same message in three separate threads. Please don’t do that: your comments are no more valid for being spammed across the forum. I have deleted the duplicates.

Editing a condensed score in Engrave mode is the worst-case scenario at the moment. We are quite aware of the problem and we will do what we can to improve the situation as expeditiously as is possible.

Thank you very much for this information. I apologize for the redundant postings - I was really desperate though.
Thanks to you and the team for providing us with such a marvelous program!!