Dorico's treatment of Più/Meno mosso

Perhaps I’m overlooking something, but since Dorico looks upon terms like Più mosso and Meno mosso as gradual tempo changes, which they aren’t, it seems unnecessarily difficult to use these terms in combination with a metronome marking. If I enter Più mosso with a metronome marking, Dorico ignores the latter, so I have to enter the metronome marking first, go to the properties panel, enter Più mosso as text and then select Text shown. If I double-click this marking for any reason, for example to change the metronome marking, Dorico alters the nature of the entire marking so it can’t show any metronome number at all. I either have to start again or I have to undo the previous actions and, in the properties panel, change the tempo (bpm) setting. Is this really so convoluted or am I missing something?

2 Likes

If you’re doing it your way and need to subsequently edit, perform that edit from the properties panel. Do not reopen the popover or Dorico will reinterpret the text.

As to a better way of circumventing Dorico’s treatment of these as gradual: rather than typing poco più Space mosso, try typing poco più Shift-Alt-Space mosso q=96 Enter.

Shift-Alt-Space is a non breaking space, and fools Dorico into creating a custom Absolute Tempo Change that should accept a metronome Mark.

2 Likes

Thanks, Leo, that’s very useful and certainly a lot easier than what I’ve been doing. Still, you must admit that this is a strange and, dare I say it, an incorrect interpretation on Dorico’s part of these markings.

It is actually a field that needs reworking, as (IIRC) it hasn’t changed since v.1, and all these problems are on the devs backlog for quite a long time.

Yep, it feels like I’m fighting the software with these sorts of markings.

What composers traditionally used più mosso or meno mosso as accel. or rit. respectively? This seems an odd use of the terms based on my (albeit limited) experience. I, too, have to use the work-around to get what I want.

I think Vaughan meant “relative” tempo change, hence Dorico treating tempo marks with those words (as listed in the Relative Tempo Change section of the Tempo panel) as relative to the previous tempo, and you can set a % metronome mark change but not their own explicit one. It’s something I’ve come up against myself, and the team knows there’s stuff to revisit in this area.

4 Likes

The shift-alt-space technique doesn’t work for me (is it because I’m using Windows?), so I’ve got used to employing the workaround described by Vaughan.

Thank you, Leo, this was my frequent problem too. I’ve just tried and Sh+Opt+Space works very well. Could I use it in context of Reset Tempo markings? I would like to write “Tempo I, quarter note = 80”. Can I do it somehow?

I would have thought between the “Tempo” and the “I”.

@Gareth_Glyn Off the top of my head Shift-Alt-Space should work, assuming it’s Word1 Shift-Alt-Space Word2 Space q=digits.

1 Like

Yes, it works fine, thank you!!

Not for me, I’m afraid. It does create a space, but I still get the relative tempo dialog in Properties. As it happens, Ctrl-alt-space creates a space too, but the same result.