Dorio3 VST Audio Engine consumes more power

After upgrading to Dorico 3, I find that my MacBook Pro battery dissipates faster.
From Activity Monitor, if Dorico 3 is idling, the VST Audio Engine process consumes about 12% of CPU.
If Dorico 3 is playing, the VST Audio Engine process consumes 28% of CPU, and Dorico 3 consumes 98%. But this is not an issue, it is the idling process (12% by the idling VST Audio Engine) that is dissipating the battery (while it should not be).
I tend to leave Dorico on even when I standby my Mac, it could be this VST Audio Engine process running in the background that consumes my battery.

Anyway, this is not a complaint, just to bring attention to it (if the shorter battery life is also faced by other Dorico3 users). I can easily quit Dorico 3 after use to conserve my battery life, easy workaround. I’m very happy with Dorico 3.

JM.

You are not alone😊 Extremely high energy usage. Dorico 3 - #20 by Paolo_T - Dorico - Steinberg Forums. If you do not use Dorico together with video, you can fix it temporary deleting a video engine. If you do not how, I could send you step by step instruction. After fixing this issue this way Dorico works just fine.

Hi mipi,
Thanks for letting me know about the previous posts. (I did a search before I posted, but I didn’t see your posts.)
Yes, please send me the instructions to delete the video engine.

Hi chengjm, in Finder go to Dorico3 app and do a right click. From the popup menu choose ‘Show package content’. Then go to Content/Components, look for the video engine component and simply delete it. Be sure to backup this file you are going to delete or backup the whole Dorico3 Application before you proceed.

How would this work in Windows, or is it not a big deal? I’m noticing some slowness also, and don’t use the video feature.

I don’t think we have any evidence to suggest that the video engine is using more CPU than before on Windows.

Correction: Ulf tells me that in fact we are seeing higher CPU usage from the video engine on Windows as well, though it tends to be closer to 10% higher CPU usage than in Dorico 2, rather than considerably higher than Dorico 2, as it appears to be on Mac.

Can it be disabled on Windows?

Only by moving the DLL out of the way, which I wouldn’t necessarily recommend.