Double dotted notes

I need to do some double-dotted notes. In the help menu in Dorico, I write any combination of double / dot / note, and get no answers.

How is this done?

Many thanks !!

Period/full stop (“.”) gives you a single dot. Add Alt to “.” and you’ll get two dots. Keep typing Alt+. and you’ll get more dots. There are Notation Options for how many dots to allow on notes in simple and compound meters, but these can be overridden locally by turning on Force Duration before applying the dots.

P.S. the help menu search within Dorico searches for items on menus within Dorico. Dots aren’t on a menu. If, however, you’d searched the manual for dotted notes you would have been directed to this page, which amply explains: https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v3/en/dorico/topics/write_mode/write_mode_rhythm_dots_inputting_t.html?hl=dotted%2Cnotes

Thanks very much !!

I had the same question. The button can only do 1 dot.

The highlighted part seems to be a toggle. Holding it down doesn’t give me options like the help says:

I wonder if this new in 4.0 (I was told to use the latest help even though I’m using 3.5) or if anyone else has come across this.

IIRC on 3.5 you can only cycle through the dot options using the Alt-click method?

If I understand your comment correctly, then yes with 4.0 using the button still doesn’t do anything for me. It appears and I can click and highlight double dotted, triple etc. but it has no effect on the note and the highlighted button disappears when I release my click. I may need to simply adjust my expectations and use the keyboard shortcuts above but it does seem bit strange to have it but not allow it to work.

By default, in note entry, the dot is added to the note you’ve just entered. There is an application Preference to apply dots to the note you’re just about to enter next.

I see. But that doesn’t explain why it allows you to select a pre-existing note and add one dot by clicking it but not two dots. Maybe I am still just not understanding the logic of this program as I’m only a few months into using it.

It works fine here. Whether it actually displays as a double-dotted note will depend on your Notation Options > Beam Grouping (as demonstrated here when I click on four dots) and whether Force Duration is turned on.

1 Like

What are your settings in Notation Options/Note Grouping/Rhythm Dots?

If I have that set to 1, select an existing eighth, hit . then Alt+. I get this:

In the above case I would need to use Force Duration. When the Notation Options are set to 2 then I automatically get this:

1 Like
  1. Select note
  2. Hold down the dot icon until the ‘alternative’ range of dots shows.
  3. Click on the double dot.

Bingo. The note is now double dotted. Though, there are other ways of creating a double dotted note, either ‘before the fact’, or ‘after the fact’, that I would employ, such as simply pressing Alt period on the note two (or more) times, extending the length with Alt Shift Right-arrow, etc.

1 Like

Hm. When I look at that option it is set to 2 as in your screenshot. And alt+. does allow me to add a second dot. It’s just the button that is unresponsive.

It’s strange. For whatever reason your 1-2-3 doesn’t work for me. clicking the alternative options makes no change to it.