Double dotted notes

I have spent quite a long while trying to enter a double dotted note. The manuscript I’m working from shows the following in Violin I:

D double dotted crotchet, D semiquaver, D double dotted crotchet, D semiquaver. The first D in the sequence is triple stopped - D / A / D, with the double dot appearing on all pitches.

(In set up I had opted for dotted crotchets to be shown as such, rather that crotchet tied to quaver)

So, the only way I seemed to be able to achieve a double dot was as follows enter a dotted crotchet followed by two semiquavers and then tie the dotted crotchet to the first semiquaver. I thought this was rather elegant, until I added the lower notes of the double stop, at which point the double dot disappeared and the tie returned.

I then thought that I could add the double stopped notes in a different voice and possible flip the stem. This, however, added rests for the second voice on the following beats - I was unable to get rid of those rests.

Sorry that’s so long-winded, there must be an easier way of achieving this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian Schofield

Try hitting O to engage Force Durations (the G clamp icon), then press Alt+. to change the number of dots, then type in the note in one go? You might not even need to use Force Durations provided the double dotted note is at the start of a beat.

1 Like

Daniel thank you very much. Worked treat.

Ian

Daniel, I got this to work…but somehow couldn’t get it to work more than once so fixed that by copy and pasting. Could it be made as simple as just doing two full stops to create a double dot? Just a thought. Best wishes.

Paul, many of us are very happy with the fact that the full stop acts as a toggle - hit it on a regular note and it dots it, hit it on a dotted note and it undots it. I, for one, would be mighty irritated if that behaviour changed after I’ve worked with Dorico for well over a year.

Generally speaking a double-dotted crotchet is followed by a semiquaver (a double-dotted quarter is followed by a 16th).

It might be quicker to enter a minim, then use the left arrow to bring the caret back by a semiquaver, then to type the semiquaver. Dorico will automatically shorten the minim (as long as Insert Mode is NOT invoked) and the shortened note will display as double-dotted if the correct rule is set in Notation Options.

Daniels advice worked immediately. Many good hints here on the net.
Could not find double dot in the manual.
Thanks, Arne Dich

Dear Arne,
You might be interested in studying the document created by Ben, here : Computer für Audioanwendungen - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums

There are many things that can give you nice ideas to improve your workflow.

[Edit] I translated it into French and added some things (like alt-dot), so I guess I should tell Ben to add it too :wink:

Thank you, Marc.
I often with pleasure read your remarks. Also this one - and I will study your link later.
I have a danish keyboard and have changed the keycommands so they work here.
Best wishes
Arne Dich

Here are my latest Dorico-files - If you should be interested:
http://www.dichmusik.dk/arr/Nonet/R.Strauss_Opus_4.html
www.dichmusik.dk/SvA.html

The Dorico-2 Key-Commands Cheet-Sheet is really a great help. Or rather inspiration.
I am now training in writing as much as possible without using the mouse. I repeat the link here for others to use:
viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103745&start=25#p756895.

Dear Arne,
I think you are making a tremendous job with those scores, they are beautiful, the kind of score you want to try and play ! Bravo !

Dear Marc
Thank you very much. And sorry for my late answer.
All the best.
Arne