Double notehead unisons in condensing scores

I’m working on some horn parts in a condensing full score and they are constantly alternating between dyads and single unison notes. In the original score, they’re in one voice and the unisons each have two noteheads to make the unison clear, however, I can only find options to either use 2 voices (which is unnecessarily complicated), or to use 1 voice but have each of the unisons represented by a single notehead and an a 2 marking (leading to an unsightly stream of a 2 markings across the page). Does anyone know of a way to achieve what the original score does?

You can hide the unnecessary a2 -markings in engrave mode.

2 Likes

I’m aware, but this makes for unclear notation if there aren’t also double noteheads.

Check engraving and notation options. I can’t remember off the top of my head but there are options to help deal with this. (I believe it is the note groupings portion of notation options). And if you ever have two notes overlap that you wish you did not do so, you can select one of the noteheads and move it to voice column index 1 in engrave mode. The other note will remain in the default ‘zero’ column and so you will then have two noteheads.

Hmm, I’m not sure if what you’re asking is possible. I can only get the two-voice version and the many-label version.

Perhaps there should be a third option for Notation Options → Condensing → Mid-phrase unison approach, one that would show mid-phrase unisons with multiple noteheads?

1 Like

Indeed, I don’t know where my head was. Condensing is it’s own thing. Is it possible to place one of the notes in one of the separated parts into voice column 1? That way when the condensing engine applies it knows they should be different columns? I’m away from my setup so I can’t experiment with this at the minute.

This doesn’t work either. My solution is to have a separate file for parts and score, and then copy the entire second part on to the first part (with chords toggled on). You have to keep the empty second part and condense it (into one voice) so that the staff labels are still correct. Not overly complicated, but does mean you need to comb through to sort out instrument labels, etc.