Double stemming notes

Is there a way in Dorico to double stem notes to indicate there are two voices? See upload for example. Thank you.

img350.pdf (331.0 KB)

Yes - input notes into 2 voices, and set your Notation Options to allow unison notes in opposing voices to overlap.

If you wish to do this on an individual basis, you can switch to Engrave mode, select the notehead that’s further to the right, and set its Voice Column Index to 0 using the properties panel.

1 Like

Thank you both for the presto reply.

After having dealt with this many times in a piece, I really hope the team come up with an easy and fast way to apply a double stem to any selected note. One more property please !
This is an area in which I have to confess that I miss Finale special tools very much.

Best
Yan

1 Like

This is definitely not a property of a single note. It is a case of two voices in unison. The easiest way I know to do it is not bad:

• Select notes
  • Shift-I and enter 1 to add unisons – they remain selected
  • V to move selected notes to the other voice
    (or Shift-V if necessary to create a new voice)
1 Like

is it really impossible to view this as a graphical fantasy in the area of stems ?
this method is not a satisfying option when you have zillions of these !

In what context do you have zillions of these? If it’s in the context of showing multiple players on the same staff, Dorico has dedicated divisi functionality and condensing functionality. If it’s in the context of a single player playing two voices simultaneously, it needn’t be slow: select all the notes that need double-stems (using Cmd/Ctrl-click for non-contiguous selections), copy, right-click > Paste Special > Paste Into Voice > whichever voice. If this results in non-overlapping noteheads where you want overlapping noteheads, leave the selection intact, switch to Engrave mode and set the Voice Column Index property to 0.

I’ll admit there are some occasional nice pieces of UI and function in Finale, but this isn’t one of them.

image455

Selecting a whole bunch of handles for each note is not faster than the steps @Mark_Johnson has outlined. And there’s no guarantee that parts will be stemmed correct.

This would be such a case, @benwiggy : Simply adding a stem up before adding a whole new voice with hidden tuplets and what not is truly extremely useful:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-20 um 14.53.42

Would love to know how this can be done in Dorico?!?

Are the small notes a cadenza during the time of the first note?

In which case, just do this with two layers:

Oh, hang on, I’ve only just seen the last note of the cadenza with two stems. (Why?)

I’ll have another think. But I’d have to know what it means. :confused:

OK, here we are:

Just remove the rests and tuplets:

No extra voices, but a tuplet in the Up-Stem voice. It’s a bit of a faff, but I’d argue it’s faffy notation! :grinning:

The small notes are to be played as fast as possible. The last note of the small note is of a different length then the others, which is indicated by an extra stem. A 7-tuplet doesn’t do that justice.

Thank you for feedback, @benwiggy !!! Much appreciated!

Is the tie on the a-flats a real tie or a slur? if it is a tie, how do you tell Dorico that there are 2 voices involved?

You can join ties of different voices by selecting both notes and pressing T.

A slight problem is that the tied noteheads can’t be different sizes (unless someone can jump in?)

1 Like

To clarify the intension of the composition here are some more screenshots (WIP).

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-20 um 16.16.12

Your solution is a clean way to go. I actually used 13th and 15th for both voices in some cases. But that’s a lot of work. Which is, why Finale’s solution of simply adding an up/down-stem to a selected note is waaaaaay faster!

Here’s the finished article. I used a LV tie at the end, to allow different size noteheads.

Yes, Finale may be quicker here, though the interface for stemming is typically byzantine; and I’d wager that overall, Dorico will still be faster.

You can of course copy and paste these cadenzas and re-pitch them.

What is an “LV tie”?

Sure it is a question of context, and here we only discuss speed, which is not everything. Eventually it is also a question of layout stability – where Dorico is undoubtely and by far the winner.

(Copy-paste is not at all possible in this piece. Each figure is different, and the structure of nested tuplets varies in each and every case.)

Screenshot

1 Like

Yes, it just hit me… thanks!