Downloading video problem

Hi,

I’m using Cubase Elements 10.5 and I’ve tried importing a video, having separately converted it into all the accepted formats for Cubase (MPEG, Quicktime, AVI and MP4), and having changed the fps of the incoming video but all I get, if it enters, is a heavily staggered version of the action (about one frame every 6 seconds!!) which is very frustrating!!

I’m beginning to think that the reason may be the age of my laptop - it’s about 10 years old and is using Windows 7.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!

All the best,
Peter Kay

Hi and welcome on the forum,

I’m sorry, Cubase 10.5 is not officially supported on Windows 7. The latest Windows 7 compatible version was Cubase 10.0.

Also please read through Video support in Nuendo, Cubase, WaveLab and Dorico article to see supported codecs and formats.

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for answering my query!
I still have a copy of Cubase 5.1 on my laptop, so I tried to download the video onto that but again without any success, so would it be better to try and upgrade to Windows 10? Sorry about all these questions!
All the best,
Peter Kay

Hi,

Cubase 5 was fully compatible with Windows 7. So this combination should work. The problem is, Cubase 5 was using totally different video engine. So if it would work in Cubase 5, it doesn’t say anything about Cubase 10 and vice versa.

I would strongly recommend to update to Windows 10 (actually, I would recommend to make a clean installation). But unfortunately I cannot tell for 100%, this will fix your problem.

It really could be, your computer is not capable to handle the video.

Hi Martin,

Many thanks again!!
I’ll try upgrading but I’m afraid I might lose my Cubase 10.5 in the process!
All the best,

Peter Kay

Hi,

No worries, you can install Cubase anytime. Your license is stored on the USB-eLicenser, so you can just install it and you are ready to go.

As I said, I would strongly recommend to make clean Windows installation. I have seen many systems with poor performance after the update. After clean Windows 10 installation, the performance became much better on these systems.

Hi Martin,
Many thanks for your support. I’m still desperately trying other alternatives before updating to Windows 10. I’ve tried installing
Quicktime Player, but at first it said “loading” for a long time then it moved on to the message “Switch” and got stuck!! I then tried another one called VLC from VideoLan with no luck, so I moved over to the inbuilt system (Windows Media Player) to see if there were any potential updates but the version I have is the most up-to-date. The only half-successful video format so far is an Mpeg, which imports but freezes after about 3 seconds.
If I don’t have any success then I’ll go for the upgrade!!
Thanks again,
All the best,
Peter Kay

Hi,

Cubase 10.5 is using own internal video engine and video player. So even if you would run a video in other player, or doesn’t mean, it would work in Cubase.

Cubase 5 was using Quick Time. So I’d the video worked in Quick Time, it should work in Cubase 5 too.

But from the result you got, I’m afraid your system is not capable to run video.

Actually now I have realised, you should double-check all your component are Windows 10 compatible. Especially your graphic card, for example. Just to make sure, you will be able to install Windows 10.

Hi,
Thanks again Martin,
It seems that If I’m not using Cubase then I can watch videos without any worry. My problem is when I try to import videos into Cubase projects. Could it be a problem with matching the frames per second??
Thanks again,
Peter Kay

Hi,

In the article I mentioned above, you can see supported codecs and also frame rates.

Hi,
Many thanks. It’s like another language to me but I’ll try to understand it!!!

Hi Martin,
Just to let you know that I have managed to sort out my problem and can now, at last, put music to the video!!
Many thanks for all your help!!
All the best,
Peter Kay

Hi,

I’m glad you sorted it out.

Could you share the solution, if anybody else have the same issue, please?

Hi,

Yes, after doing a thorough check on my computer, including increasing the virtual memory, I downloaded Videopad Video Editor and converted the video into MP4 with a frame per second of 24 and it works like a dream!!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Good to hear you got it working.

Sometimes I get similar problems with playing back mp4 videos in Cubase. The video freezes all the time.

One thing to check is the frame rate. Variable frame rate is not supported.

But for me the issue seems to be related to video bit rate. Anything up to 8 Mbps plays back fine. 12Mbps and above freezes and stutters.