DP2 / DP3 Chord input prblem via MIDI

Hi everybody,

got a problem with chord inputting via MIDI (USB).

I use Dexibell Vivo S3 - and I’ve got the same problem in both above mentioned DP versions:

Chord input (Shift-Q) works for - let me say - about 20 bars. Then Dorico refuses to recognize my chord playing.

Input via computer keyboard (Logitech) works fine.

What’s the problem?

With the best wishes for a happy 2020!

Yours

Peter

This happens to me too. The problem with this particular issue is that it’s generally fixed (locally) by restarting Dorico. This makes it extremely difficult to reproduce, which makes it extremely difficult to fix.

That’s for sure!!
But:
Currently I’m working on a Classic-Rock-Version of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony for my band (not copying Ekseption’s version!!)
And I think, I’ve discovered some bugs concerning DP2/DP3: (I’m tired of taking screenshots)
DP2:
This is my favourite version to work with my Yamaha Motif Rack ES - DP3 freezes when I want to use the expander. Sound output works fine as long as I use it, but if I want to switch to HALION (for MP3 export to share the piece with my band members), there is no sound… (ASIO4ALL V2 VST Engine)
Input mode via Midi:-
I had to delete some notes (eights) - they disappeared, but there was no rest sign left - that wasn’t a problem in SIB 7… and then it’s tricky to position the rest sign from the menu on the left side!!!
Writing Mode: I positioned the carot line - let me say - in bar 35. The screen then jumped over to bar x, but not to bar 35. So I had to reposition it - is that workflow??
DP 3: freezes, as long as I have the Yamaha Rack in my playback list. So I returned to DP2, deleted the Yamaha, saved it and reloaded the file into DP3.
It worked!!
But:- why can’t I switch between MIDI and HALION in DP2???

Guys:
I’m sure you do an excellent job - but instead of developing more and more features (I watched the video by Anthony concerning the next update).
Please go back to the roots and stabilize the current versions.

Waiting for bug fixes

Yours
Peter

Sorry, it’s Yamaha Motif-Rack XS version!!!

Peter, the bugs you are experiencing are specific to the Yamaha Motif-Rack XS. To our knowledge you are the only one out of many thousands of Dorico users who have this VST plug-in, which creates MIDI ports when you instantiate it and which causes Dorico to freeze. The reason this causes a problem in Dorico 3 and not in Dorico 2, as we’ve explained before, is that Dorico 3 responds immediately to MIDI devices becoming available on the system, whereas Dorico 2 and earlier can only recognise new MIDI devices at start-up, so it’s impossible to reproduce the problem in the last version.

Although this is a bad bug and we do plan to fix it, there are many practical considerations that go into how and when a bug can be fixed, plus we have to consider the impact of the bug, which includes not only its severity but also the number of users who are affected by it. We fix dozens of bugs in every Dorico update, and take a very diligent approach to software quality. However, we cannot always fix every bug in every release, and in particular it may be doing a disservice to thousands of other users to devote a disproportionate amount of time to fixing a bug that affects a single user if that prevents us from delivering valuable functionality for thousands of users.

I realise it’s frustrating to have this problem. If you can avoid using the Yamaha Motif-Rack VST plug-in with Dorico 3 I believe you will find it otherwise very stable.

Dear Daniel, thanks for your answer :slight_smile:
I would do the same, if I were a DP developer, no doubt!

As long as I use YAMAHA, I do it in DP2. To take benefit of DP3 features, I delete the YAMAHA in the playback VST list, save it and load it into DP3 to take benefit of the guitar chord and condensing features - the only features that are of interest for me as a rock musician playing in bands.
But this problem only appears in DP3 (Ulf had already told me about the YAMAHA problem.)
There is still no answer to the following problems (already mentioned above):
in
DP2:
This is my favourite version to work with my Yamaha Motif Rack EX. Sound output works fine as long as I use it, but if I want to switch to HALION (for MP3 export to share the piece with my band members), there is no sound… (ASIO4ALL V2 VST Engine)
Input mode via Midi:-
I had to delete some notes (eights) - they disappeared, but there was no rest sign left - that wasn’t a problem in SIB 7… and then it’s tricky to position the rest sign from the menu on the left side!!!
Writing Mode: I positioned the carot line - let me say - in bar 35. The screen then jumped over to bar x, but not to bar 35. So I had to reposition it - is that workflow??

Maybe you can help me solving the DP2 problems…

Yours Peter

By the sounds of your last few lines, you’d really benefit from using Dorico 3. The issues with the screen jumping around have really improved…

Dear Piano Vink,
Do you use the playback template in the Play menu to reassign automatically all your players to HALion when you try to use HALion for your export ? This has proved to work very reliably, no matter the version… and there’s no relationship with the ASIO, AFAIK, but anyhow, ASIO4All seems to work perfectly for most of Windows users here in this forum.
You should very seldom need the rest tool on the left panel. If no rest appear when you delete notes, that’s because the note prior to those deleted notes has “ends voice” property enabled (bottom panel). Uncheck that, and the rests will automatically populate the gaps.

Thanks for the answers, guys!!
I’ll check Marc’s suggestions.

Yours Peter