DPC latency check , is this ok?

Only jesting
Ive been trying to get my latency down as low as possible on my old 3370k and i don’t think i can get it much better than this , this test was done over a 2 minute period

Thanks for sharing, I guess.

:thinking:

Why the jest?

Because i knew it was ok ? Im just showing that old machines are still fully capable of decent latency if setup correctly .
Cheers for looking

Ha, ha! Yes, I believe people are obsessed with having the latest and greatest even if they don’t really need it.

If you want to talk about old, I just rebuilt my X-58 Gigabyte / i7-950 system into a new case. 4 fresh Samsung SSDs and a new USB-eLicenser. Windows 10 and an antique Focusrite Pro 40 firewire interface running flawlessly. Numerous plugins from Toontrack, IK Multimedia, Soundtoys, Overloud, etc. working just fine. My projects aren’t stressful to the system compared to some folks’ way of working. I tend to convert VSTis to audio fairly early. Still using Cubase Pro 10.5 with no immediate plans to upgrade untill I finally break down and build a new computer.

I did, however, just purchase a new laptop …

MSI Laptop Summit E15 A11SCS-208 Intel Core i7 11th Gen 1185G7 (3.00 GHz) 16 GB Memory 1 TB NVMe SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q 15.6" Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Newegg.com

I’ve only had it for about 2 weeks and haven’t tried Cubase on it yet. Need to get a new mobile interface. I mainly got it for work using Autodesk Fusion 360 CAD/CAM software (I’m a CNC machinist and programmer by trade). For that purpose it’s been pretty sweet so far. I wouldn’t be surprised, however, if it will run circles around my aging desktop system for Cubase.

Anyway, enough rambling from me …

Nice to see you around again lately.

:sunglasses:

lol cheers , good to be here :wink:
Technology moves on , look at the new Ryzen mini pc’s , shocking , i bet they can even out preform the old 3770k . Im the same as you if my track count hits 35 including all busses and Fx tracks that’s pushing it hard and i normally render tracks down and with the way C11 does them now it make its so easy .
Ive just been playing around with bits , i never even released that windows keeps a copy of all the OS files in a temp folder and with all the other bits it had taken up 14gb of SSD and other little tweaks ive heard about , unless this old lean machine croaks it’s i can’t see a reason to upset something that’s always run sweet and after this little latency check after a years worth of every day use it’s just proved that they are still up there .
This place has changed but the members haven’t , love seeing all the old faces still about :wink:

Hey Scab, I think your laptop will run circles around your old desktop. My old HP had the i7-970, and it worked pretty well with Cubase on Win 10 generally. About two years ago I bought a Lenovo gaming laptop with i7-7700HQ and one of the top NVIDIA chips at the time. So not as fast as your machine. But it definitely runs circles around my old desktop.

And I’m not certain why, but I think it’s not just that the CPU is faster (even with a lower nominal 2.8GHZ rating) because of turbo. There are other things about the speed of cache or whatever that I don’t understand, but I just don’t even think about limits on this laptop for what I’m doing with Cubase. I bought one of the Steinberg USB interfaces to go with it (UR242). I was worried about the switch from Firewire to USB, but that turned out not to be an issue.

Meanwhile, talk about old-timey, I still use a really old Lenovo Thinkpad as a field recorder running Cubase 6 on Windows XP for my rock band. For that, I have a Steinberg MR816 firewire interface with 8 channels, and another MOTU interface with 8 channels that connects via light pipe. So sixteen input channels simultaneously, although the most I’ve ever done is 10. But it didn’t stress the computer to record at all.

Hi, Leon! First I would like to say I’ve been feeling bad for not keeping up with the “Made With Steinberg” topics. You do an exceptional job in that regard. My six year old son has been taking priority over many other aspects of my musical adventures. Not that it’s a bad thing … quite the opposite. I have my secondary computer set up for him with Cubase Elements 10.5 and a Korg MicroKey. It’s an aging i3 system I built a few years ago, but coping fine for his educational purposes.

I’m definitely looking forward to trying Cubase on my new laptop. It’s a pretty nice machine. I kind of have the feeling I’ll be getting a USB interface and using that as my primary system when my dinosaur desktop finally bites the bullet. Until then, I’m just going to keep chugging along with what is working.

I haven’t really been doing much lately, project wise. My latest track I’ve been working on is kind of a disco funk thing. Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 groove assembled from the Disco MIDI pack. Toontrack EZkeys Grand Piano to lay down a keys line. Steinberg HALion 5 to produce the sound from the EZkeys MIDI. And, there I am … trying to figure out a bass line right now. I loaded up IK Multimedia’s MODO Bass for the first time last night. Pretty cool, but I’ve yet to record my new “cheapo” Yamaha bass and think this might be a good chance to put it through it’s paces. Enough of the VSTis and time to get some “real” sounds laid down, I think. I keep brainstorming bass lines based off the keys track and might be about ready to funk it up, ha ha!

I got a new ESP E-II Eclipse about a year ago that hasn’t been broken in properly in a recording situation, either. Too many things going on to focus …

Blah, blah, blah …

Nice of you to comment. :sunglasses: