Drag and Drop within the VST Instruments Rack to Reorder Instruments

Currently, Cubase lists instantiated plugins in the VST Instrument Rack by the order of instantiation. But it would be much more convenient to have the VST instruments ordered either alphabetically or by the instrument’s listing in the Arranger page track list (which should ideally correspond to the instrument’s position in the mixer view if that feature is ever implemented).

If instantiated VST instruments were sorted alphabetically, this would not need to be done dynamically. There could be an option in the VST Rack to “Sort instruments alphabetically.”

2 Likes

Hi,

Change this in the VST Plugin Manager. You can set the plug-in collection to be sorted alphabetically.

They are talking about the F11 Instrument Rack, not the collection list.

@Music_Maven , small tip if you are wanting to do some re-ordering… If you disable Instrument Tracks and then re-enable, it will be put to the bottom of the F11 Instrument Rack… so you can effectively re-order this way.

But I agree with your suggestion, just giving a workaround.

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding me. I don’t want to sort the list of available plugins alphabetically. I want to sort the list of instantiated plugins alphabetically.

Hi,

Sorry, I got it.

I just realized there is a better way to implement this feature than I originally described. Rather than have a command to “Sort Instruments Alphabetically” within the VST Instruments Rack (F11) just let users manually drag VST instrument up and down in the list (by grabbing their left-side “handle” where the instrument number is currently displayed) to create whatever order users want. As a nice to have, it would be cool if you could shift-select and ctrl/cmd-select a group of rack instruments to move them into a new location within the rack without having to move each instrument individually.

This feature would allow users to group all their drum instruments in one section of the rack, all their orchestral instruments in another section of the rack and so forth.

Hope this makes sense!

2 Likes

I’m waiting for years for such a functionality. I wonder why this isn’t possible till know. Reordering VST Instruments is a must. Everywhere else in Cubase you can reorder the VST’s. There is an other point why this is so important. VST Instruments order is reflected in the Midi Out Dropdown List of a Track. The ordering of VST’s has an impact on this list too. Then Multichannel Out of VST’s in the Mixing Console and the Track Inspector (EQ,Channelstrip etc.) has a broken UI, because you cannot reach an Multi-Output-Channel of a VST Instrument nor you can Group Edit them in that Window. That causes moving around a lot of windows and jumping in the UI a lot. The same stupid things happen with the sends. Cubase has to Fix the basics that we all use 80% of our time , not the 2% of what is used by a much lower userbase. I need a tool that is helping me in staying creative. Cubase has a lot of breaks in the workflows of the creative processes. Most of the time i end up strugling with the misdesign of functionality that has nothing to do with making music. With every version it becomes more and more complicated and messi . Cubase is overdone and needs a big cleanup, in my opinion. thx

+1 would be a helpful extension

I agree that Steinberg should focus primarily on basic functionality and workflow improvements in the next two or three versions of Cubase. It would also be nice if they revamped legacy features like the Arpache arpeggiator. That dates all the way back to Cubase SX. It’s time for a new modern arpeggiator.

Unfortunately, these sorts of improvements aren’t what sells new copies of Cubase or what prompts existing users to upgrade. I’m starting to lose hope that Cubase will ever be more than a convoluted mess with features and design patterns from 30 years ago still hanging around.

To be honest, I would switch to Presonus Studio One Pro if I didn’t have hundreds of song idea project files in Cubase.

1+ Bump

let us reorder rack instruments and group tracks for routing

YESSSS! Thank you very much!