Raino & I have been doing some research into this and it seems that Nickeldome was the nearest to the solution.
I took the trouble of sorting out a midi file that DID keep its name and one that DID’NT.
I’d purchased these from Dance Midi Samples. Took the opportunity to ask them for any help.
This is the fantastic reply that we received from Peter, the MD.
Having had a quick read through the forum post you’ve quoted below, this seems to be a nuance of Cubase’s file handling. The good news is that it’s easy to side-step.
MIDI files will always have a channel name of some sort embedded in them (even if it’s ‘track 01’ or something even less descriptive), although the nature of this this may depend on which DAW the file was originally exported from - and whether the original producer gave the track a sensible name!
Taking the two files attached (one from DMS Epic Chords Vol 1, the other from DMS Progressive Plucks, Pads & Riffs Vol 1), I’ve imported each into both Logic X , Ableton Live and Cubase LE AI Elements 9.
Logic and Ableton import as expected, showing the correct names for each MIDI file by default.
Cubase however behaves exactly as noted in the Steinberg forum post - with some files taking the name of the Cubase channel, rather than the embedded MIDI file name.
From a bit of experimentation I’m certain that this is Cubase ignoring information in type 0 MIDI files.
Most DAWs give users the option of exporting MIDI as either type 1 (multi-track), or type 0 (single track only), although the option is often buried deep within layered menus.
I’ve attached 2 re-exported MIDI files from Logic, one as type 0, the other as type 1 - the type 1 version, at least in Cubase Elements 9, loads with the correct embedded name, despite the Cubase channel name.
I’ve also attached 2 ‘Test’ MIDI files, both of which contain embedded names - the type 1 file displays it’s correct name, the type 0, as expected in Cubase, does not.
I’ve managed to get around this issue by visiting Cubase -> Menu -> Preferences -> MIDI -> MIDI File, and unchecking the ‘Auto Dissolve Format 0’ option. This then allows Cubase to correctly import the MIDI type 0 files, with their internally written channel name.
I tested this and forwarded the results and test files to Raino.
It works fine. Nickeldome was on the ball with the answer - to a degree.
However, I’ll add a bit more to this now:
If you uncheck the autodissolve Format 0 and then import or drag & drop a “rogue” midi file, the midi file may appear on the wrong track and actually create 2 midi files. The other file contains SMF or sysex data only.
So, go to preferences midifile and tick “Import dropped file as a single part” and drage & drop again.
Okay, preferences are supposed to be set and forgotten for the most part, but this is an area that’ll have to be changed depending on the midi files that you drag and drop. For instance, if you have a midi file with lots of parts (or stems), this’ll become messy. It’s a case of suck it and see when you drop the midi file in.
Hope this helps all who are interested and a big thanks to Dance Midi Samples for answering a query I’ve had for years (and for saving me hours of headaches in the future).
Hope this helps