Draw tool in MIDI Editor: How to change it from jump to ramp

I’m new to Cubase, and was wondering if it’s possible to change the draw tool in the MIDI editor to ramp instead of the default jump, without having to go over the data with the line tool.

Turn off Snap in the Toolbar :wink:

Doing so does not create the “ramp” effect; it’s still “jump”.

With “ramp”, you draw a point at one end of a region, draw another point at the other end, and the two points are automatically connected through a line. Automation works this way and the Tempo track has the feature. I’m sure there’s a way to get this when editing modulation or expression in the MIDI key editor.

Ah, you are talking about in the Controller lane. No, that’s not possible.

I see. So I should just use the Controller lane instead to achieve this?

Okay, now you lost me. What exactly is it you want to accomplish?

Sorry, yeah that was a little unclear…

Just to be able to write something like Modulation for a track in “ramp” mode for smoother transitions in modulation. i was originally doing all of this in the key editor, yet I don’t like how it’s locked into “jump” mode, since especially for things like modulation, you’d want the changes to be as smooth as possible. It seems the only way to get it to “ramp” is through editing it via automation directly in the project’s arrange window. I’m mainly asking if “ramp” mode is possible in controller lanes in the key editor.

I see. Actually you have found the workaround, in using Automation lanes assigned to MIDI CCs. Note the nomenclature- controller lanes are in Key Edit, In the Project window you are using Automation Lanes.

So, yeah. That’s it.

Is that how God intended the Key Editor window to be used? :wink:

Just joiking, but, if there is saved cc data in the editor, how to transfer that to a cc line?

Emil

MIDI Menu>Functions>Extract MIDI Automation.

What? You can’t have a line with just two points ie with pitchbend? Damn… paid few hunderd bucks for steinberg software but I guess was the last time

1 Like

MIDI data doesn’t work like that though. for each change of parameter an explicit message is required. So even if the program could draw a ‘ramp’ it would actually be generating many midi messages one after the other along the length of the line.

There would be no point to having such a feature, since it would simply be hiding data. No other programs can do that with midi either. If you think you know one that does, hook up a midi monitor to it’s output, and compare that to the line in the controller lane.

“no point having such a feature” :smiley:
I’ve been using Logic for a while now and I can say, yes, there is a point having such an feature.
Now I have to draw the whole line again when I want to adjust it, instead dragging one end of the line.
I know very well there’s 128 steps that are hidden under this line (well actually 126 :b) and so what?
It’s just so much easier to handle this way.
Go tell people who use other daws this feature is pointless ;p

2 Likes

It’s not necessary to redraw the line. In Cubase you can select the line and adjust using the tilt, scale and move functions. See Controller Event Editor

Thank you for the tip Steve.
it still is unnecessarily tricky to use in my honest opinion, compared having just a line with start and end and simply moving those around.

1 Like

Maybe you will like it better after getting used to it. There is a lot of manipulation you can do with these tools beyond the single use-case you mentioned.

Personally I prefer seeing the actual midi I’m editing, and this is something that’s baked into Cubase’s midi editing dna.