Drop chord tone below note

Hey guys,

Is it possible to create a Logical process that will drop a note to the nearest chord tone below a not that’s selected? This could be a fun little macro or whatever.

Thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

Not exactly, but there might be a way. Are you accustomed to creating LE presets?

Have a look at the Context filters.

Also, have you played with the chord editing tab in the midi and score inspector?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m not that familiar but I will give it a go. I’m basically trying to quickly do planing.

It could be chord based or interval based, but always in the scale of the associated harmonic moment (think jazz principles.)

Planing meaning, transposing the entire chords in parallel?

Not quite. With that I would just use up and down arrows :slight_smile: This is more to do with dropping consonant (within the context of the current harmonic cell) shapes below a melody or otherwise.

In other words, you’re dropping chord tones or scale tones beneath the line. Chord tones might work somehow, but scale based tones probably not so much since Cubase is kind of classical in its approach to scales.

Might be beyond Cubase’s capabilities thus far despite being by far the most useful DAW for these things.

I’m not a Logical Editor expert at all, but I don’t think it has any function that allows us to create such a macro. There’s no “chord tone” function. There is “transpose to scale” but I’m not sure if there’s any way to make it execute the kind of function you’re looking for.

If you’re using a Chord Track you might try creating a MIDI track with just the notes you want to transpose. Then use “map to Chord Track” – this may or may not give acceptable results. I use this technique. Sometimes it yields interesting/useful results. Other times not.

I think the fastest way to do this kind of editing is with Alt-Drag to create the new notes. Select notes, then Alt-Drag. If your part is diatonic, most of the notes may be correct, others you’ll have to move by hand.

I like your idea and perhaps someone better at using the Logical Editor could work out how to make this work.

As was mentioned, the inversion transpose in the Key Editor Chords Tab offers some excellent ways to create inversions, but if you want to Add Notes, then, I think Alt-Drag is the fastest way.

Anyway, I hope you find some of this useful. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Can you give me two specific examples to play with? I’ll try a couple ideas out.

Thank you to both Steve’s :slight_smile: !

I’m sorry for the brief delay. Steve, glad you asked and might have the time to help. I understand how busy everyone is.

Simply put: I want to drop consonant intervals (3rds, 4ths, 5ths or 6ths) within a given scale below a melody.

At the moment I’m trying to come up with a solution and it seems difficult. Maybe a macro that initiates a script to produce a generic interval below and then the transpose to scale function?

Hope you can help!

Thanks again for your time :slight_smile:

That’s a good approach. Note that some actions don’t appear in the dropdown menus until you specify the object n the upper pane- i.e., an ‘equals note’ filter is need for the the menus to be populated correctly.

Steve,

Quick question. I have something working but every time the interval is created beneath the note, Cubase deselects the note I’m dropping intervals from.

Is there any way to sort of ‘revert’ to an old selection? Or at least select the top notes of a few bars?

Thanks!

If you’re doing what I think you are, then the 2nd lowest note is the one you now want to select, and you can do that with the “Note Number in Chord” Context Variable filter parameter.

Worked :slight_smile: Thanks!

Interesting thread. It’s exploring some functions I’ve had questions about myself.

The OM Says:

"Note Number in Chord (lowest = 0)

If you set Parameter 2 to the voicing number of the chord, this finds chords with the specified voicing number in the selected MIDI part."

Q. What does “voicing number of the chord” mean?

Then it gives a user note: “The Musical Context presets give you an idea of the possibilities of this filter target.”

Q. What is a “Musical Context Preset?” Does that mean one of the “styles?” And, if using that will give me an “idea of the possibilities,” wouldn’t it be a good idea for the OM to provide at least one example of this?

(OM URL: Chords Filter).

The order of notes low to high in the chord.

Q. What is a “Musical Context Preset?”

Factory presets in the Logical Editor.

Sorry if I’m being dense, but Is this based on the order of notes in a Root Position Standard chord, say, a Major Seventh chord, 1,3,5,7.

Say I want to find all the 3rds in a set of basic diatonic chord. Is it: Zero = the Root, 1 = the 3rd degree, 2 = the fifth degree?, 3 = seventh degree?

I’m confused becuase Low to High could be nearly any note depending on voicing and alternate bass note, etc. Is it just X Note in selection?

The OP asked a good question and I realized I’ve not worked with these functions enough.

OK, yes, on “Musical Context Presets,” I know those. I’ll go have another look at this corner of the program again.

Thanks, Steve :slight_smile:

That’s exactly it!

The LE has three ways to look at polyphony-

• By analysis of the intervals (part)
  • According to the current chord on the Chord Track
  • The order of notes, numbered from low to high, starting at zero.
    :wink:

Thanks. I wish the OM provided a use example. I’ll put more time into learning these functions.