Drum Kit and Ossia Stuff

Hello

I am a beginner with Dorico.Under Sibelius I could always add an Ossia note line, even in a drum part.
Unfortunately I can’t find this function under Dorico. Can anyone give me a hint how I can do this?

Here I add an example of how I would imagine this.

Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards
Christian Bucher

Welcome to the forum, Christian. I’m afraid it’s not possible at the moment to add an ossia to a drum kit in Dorico. There’s no good workaround I can think of at the moment.

The reason this is different than it is in programs like Sibelius is that a drum set is actually made up of 12 (or however many) individual instruments that Dorico then dynamically shows on a single staff, so adding an ossia to this would require Dorico to add ossias to all of the individual instruments, and then figure out how to show those additional ossias as a single combined ossia. It’s not impossible, of course, but it’s not something that the software can do today.

I often end up using two drum parts, one that is visually correct for the player to read, and one hidden from the score that is for playback only. You can use a non-percussion staff for the visually correct part so you have the full range of editing options including Ossias, without caring about any playback. Then, if playback is necessary, create a separate staff that will playback correctly without caring how it is notated as it will not be included in the score.

Hi Daniel

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
Is it planned to integrate this function (Ossia) for the drum parts in the future?

Hi, Fred,

thanks for very much for your help. It worked out perfectly!
Now if I want to write only a part of the bars with Ossia staff and another part without. Would you know if this is also possible? Like in this example?

Best regards and thanks again.

You can create another part layout containing that player and then use the manual staff visibility feature to hide the lower staff throughout the layout, yes.