Drum recording setup question using Cubase LE5

WGmitch: In my opinion Yes ------- Note: maybe a stereo track for Overheads

Open your Mixer and turn down your Song.
Turn up your Drum Tracks :wink:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

PS: WGmitch – Cubase is like an Instrument it takes a while to learn it,
like learning how to play Guitar – keyboards – etc.
Keep watching Cubase videos - Youtube Videos,
and read the Manual :wink:

Thanks Jack, you’ve been a huge help.

Fred

"Also what kind of computer are you using :question:
PC - Mac - Laptop :question:
32 or 64 bit :question: "

I’m using a laptop with Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

Thanks again!

WGmitch: Your using the 32 bit Driver from Tascam with your US-1800 I hope :question:

Yes I am using the 32 bit driver.

Cool :slight_smile:

So I’ve learned a lot from halljack and playing around and I would like to pass along what I’ve learned to anyone wanting to record an acoustic drum set.

First you need to setup an audio track for each drum mic and one for each condenser (overhead) mic, if you have them, but first you need to setup a VST Connection for each mic. I recommend naming the VST Connections too, it will help when you assign each track, which you should rename also.

The screen shot below is of the audio tracks template I created. I have renamed each track for the drum they represent.

This next screen shot is the VST Connections and I saved them as a Preset.

I will continue to play and learn and pass along what I learn as I go.

Thanks again Jack for your help.

WGmitch: Glad to have helped.

everything looks fine – good job

Couple of tips for ya

1. maybe use Noise Gates when mixing — on all your “Tom channels”
    to reduce the leakage on them, this works for Kick and Snare to if you want.

2. and maybe experiment with 1 or 2 room mic’s out abut 20 feet
    if you would like that John Bonham “Zeppelin” big drum sound :wink:

Jack :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks again Jack! I will try the Noise Gates and I live to try and get the big John Bonham sound! How did you know?! :open_mouth:

Had a feeling.

Led Zeppelin’s “John Bonhams” Drum sound a lot of times
was recorded with just 3 or 4 mic’s and recorded
in a a Big ambient room with high ceilings. The
trick is to combine close mic’s with a room mic --s.
Open the room mic (Turn it up) in the mix for bigger
more ambient sound. Turn it down or off for a dryer
smaller sound. :wink:

Jack :smiley: :slight_smile:

PS: With Analog recording I used the 3 mic
technique a lot. 1 mic on the kick, 1 on the snare top,
and 1 overhead. But today I use the 8 - 10 mic’s and tracks
also like you show - But I haven’t forgotten the 3 mic technique. :wink:

So I’m in the same boat as WGMitch. I’m using the Tascam 1800 (driver 2.0) on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and Cubase LE5. The proper driver is selected in Device Setup. I have the VST Connections set to 9 mono inputs; 1 stereo output and the audio tracks created with each mapped to its appropriate bus in the inspector. I have 8 mics. The 9th input is from my ipod where I planned to input the track I am playing along to. It is connected into the Line In 1/4" jack #9. I have the red Record Button and the brown/yellow monitor/speaker button active for each track in the Inspector. (Oddly, to hear the playback through the headphones I have to turn off the speaker button for each track. Is that the way it’s supposed to work?) Here are the problems I’m having while trying to record:

1. I can see the “led” moving for each drum mic track and when I record I definitely get soundwaves that I can hear on playback. However, I get no sound from the mics through the headphones. I can hear the ipod in track 9, but even then I have to turn the Mixer all the way to computer, and the the #9 gate dial and the phones volume control up most of the way to hear properly. Again, no drum mic sound coming to the headphones.

2. As I said above, the volume of Track 9 - the Line In jack 9 from my ipod - has to be turned almost all the way up to hear it in my headphones. Not sure if that is common or I need to change something.

I guess that’s about it for now. Once I can get a proper recording I’ll start messing with the EQ process, but for now I just want to hear what I’m playing through the headphones. Thank you in advance for any help and for letting me piggy back on this tread.

Quick edit: headphones are plugged in to the…wait for it…1/4" phones jack. Thus, ALL equipment is plugged into the front of the Tascam; nothing in the back. Not sure if this is important but thought I’d add it. THanks again for any assistance.

Here are screenshots of my setup:

4. (not letting me attach a 4th; see next reply)

And here is the inspector:

Fred: In your inspector picture where it says OHL on the Far Left,
EACH track should show a separate input there.
High lite each track separately and click on each one
so they look like my diagram below

1. mono is OHL
  2. mono 2 OHR
  3. Mono 3 snare
  4. mono 4 10"
  5. mono 5 12"
  6. mono 6 14"
  7. mono 7 16"
  8. mono 8 Kick
  9. mono 9 music

I take it you renamed everything in VST connection’s.
IMO It might be best to not rename anything in VST Connections
until you have this down

Hope This Helps

Thanks, jack. This was done. Each track was “mapped” to the appropriate bus in the inspector by clicking the input name (they were all originally pointing to OHL) and changing. Input 1 to track 1, 2 to 2… (OHL to OHL, OHR to OHR, etc). Output was left at Stereo.

I’ve also tried messing with my Macbook’s sound settings and even just running the Tascam with no computer attached. Nothing I’ve described has worked. If it helps, I’ve been using the Vic Firth drumming headphones. I have some Shure e215’s I have yet to try.

Any other ideas? I really appreciate your time. I can’t imagine one shouldn’t be able to hear through phones.

Fred

Oh, and as I experiment the monitor pot is half way and I swing the Mix pot from hard left to hard right. Still no change in mic volume. Sorry for the multiple posts. Just trying to be thorough. I’m sure there is some small setting I’m missing.

The mix knob should be all the way to computer. Is the headphone volume up? Did you adjust the gai for each input on the device?

Yep - mix is all the way to computer (I’ve tried it all the way to Input as well).
Yep - Headphone volume is all the way up. I start to hear hum with high volume levels and back off a little, but I’ve definitely had it turned all the way up.
Yup - I’ve turned up the gain using the pots for each of the 8 inputs on the face of the Tascam. I haven’t messed with the gain from within Cubase. Those “sliders” are ~3/4 of the way up (0db?), which should be more then adequate.

Monitor “button” is pressed on each track in cubase. Monitor volume is up. Output is set to stereo 1 and 2. I’ve done everything I can think of. First of all, is what I want to do even possible? Should I be able to hear the mic input (In this case, drums) inside my headphones while recording? I’d be shocked if not, but assuming it is possible, then there must be some little setting I’ve forgotten. I just can’t figure it out. As I said - the unit records the drums more or less fine (I need to work on mic placement, especially on the kick drum); it’s only while trying to listen live that it won’t come through the headphones.

SUCCESS WITH MY HEADPHONE ISSUE!

For anyone having headphone monitoring issues similar to what was described above:

Turns out the output power on the Tascam headphone jack isn’t enough to run certain headphones like the Vic Firth Isolation phones I had been doing all my testing with. Today I put in my Shure e315’s and voila - sound a plenty.

Thanks again to Jack and everyone else who tolerates us newbies as we work through these problems. Your help and support is greatly appreciated!

Fred