Drum Set stem behavior

Hi, I’m trying to modify Dorico’s default of making two parts of a drum set that both are stem up always defaulting to the lowest common note value. How do I tell Dorico to allow the quarter note value in the snare part while the hi-hat plays eights? The first pic is of the problem, the second is how I want it to look.

Dorico problem

Apologies if I’m misunderstanding you completely here, but if you input your snare notes as eighth notes (quavers), you’ll get the appearance you’re looking for, I think.

I didn’t explain but well. The hi-hat is marked as eight notes on beat four. I would like a single quarter note in the snare, but Dorico automatically makes the snare note into 2 eights that are tied. Is there any way to stop this behavior? When I put the hi-hat and snare into two different voices I get the single quarter note, but that also makes several separate up stems for each voice (snare, hat, crash cymbal) and it can become unreadable.

This is snare and hi-hat as voice 1:
Same voice

This is snare or hi-hat as voice 2:
Separate voices

So I want a single quarter note in the snare and two eights in the hi-hat on beat four. But the two voice solution is harder to read than this:
Original

Well, Daniel Spreadbury explained that if you input the snare as an 8th note instead of a quarter, you get the result you want. What else do you need?

In the first example of your last reply, select the snare note and the snare note ONLY, then press 5. Next time, simply enter those similar SD notes as 8th notes. There is also a notation option (per flow basis) in the “percussion” tab that cuts notes out automatically, it’s not adequate for all circumstances, but it is often an easy way to achieve this. It’s called “Truncate to shortest duration”.

1 Like

Thanks Claude! “Truncate to shortest Duration” is what I’ve been looking for.

These four choices in Notation Options are very useful, but it is a good idea to understand where they come from.
A kit in Dorico is a condensed staff made up of instruments played by a player. Each instrument can be extracted from a kit and assigned to another player. Since kits are not necessarily only drum-sets, this is incredibly useful for folks like me who sometimes have to create orchestra reductions where the number of percussionists in a score has to be reduced. In moving these instruments around, some voice/note duration issues will pop up and this is when those notation choices can be extremely useful in saving time. One still must deal with dynamics however, as those will not always fit in the context of a new percussion kit setup, but the amount of time saved with Dorico’s approach is truly miraculous for people such as myself. Now, with the addition of editable rests, we are dealing with a very powerful way of working with percussion.