dspMixFx GUI size

Hi,

I bought the UR44 and it’s lovely device, but the GUI of dspMixFx is not very comfortable on Hi-DPI displays. On my ThinkPad Yoga with FullHD on 12.5’’ display is the whole window smaller then my smartphone. And the OS scaling ratio has no effect.

Would be possible to do something with the GUI?
Thanks.

3 Likes

Please, can you make the GUI bigger or scalable? Or just add MIDI support to control DspMixFx from other app or HW controller.
Thanks.

dspMixFx is really the weakest point of Yamaha/Steinberg audio interfaces. I wonder why it is so difficult to give it some decent usability and look. Making great user interfaces is very easy on XCode, and I guess it is with MS development tools.

The Mac version seems an alien body in OS X, looking a mix between Windows 95 and some early, pre-Ubuntu Linux GUI. It cannot even understand a click on the scrollbar (that still scrolls one channel at a time). And there is no way to resize its window. It’s as if Yamaha/Steinberg considered the software part less important than the hardware part.

Paolo

1 Like

Lenovo Yoga & dspMixFx…

Can anybody from Steinberg tell me something to this issue, please?

+1 for this.
I’m using a Surface Pro 3 and the DSPMixFX window is tiny.
If the Cubase mixer is scalable, surely this one can be too.

I see that years after the first report, the software’s GUI is still the same, still not redesigned for hi-resolution displays, and more embarassing than ever. Is this really not an issue for most?

Paolo

2 Likes

Why not just use 1920 x 1080? The difference on a 12.5" display is pretty much not discernible to the human eye isn’t it?

Pathetic! Embarrassing! Or, as The Donald would say, “Sad, so sad.” I just got a 2560 x 1440 monitor. Even though it’s only 91 PPI, dspmixfx is too small to be usable without causing a headache. The iPad version on an iPad Air 2, which is 226 PPI, displays much larger. Incompetence? Neglect? Steinberg: “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.”

This app could really use a refresh with new features and a new look . Come on update the app, you bundling it with your interface. I am a proud owner of a UR 44 since it came out and to date no refresh.

1 Like

And in 2018 Q4 … same same!
Or is there at least a way to have the GUI not collapse on you every time you close the window if you have had the nerve to resize its size to see all channels at once?
Dunno if the spMixFx GUI is the same for all UR gizmos but I’m on UR824.

You can make it larger!

Right click the program and go to properties (in windows.) There are some settings in the Compatibility menu. I forgot exactly what I changed but I ended up with a much larger dsp window by messing with some of these https://i.imgur.com/FlRSZWe.png

It is a bit of an issue that you can’t configure this within the software but IMO there is a much bigger issue with the DSP mix on the UR series and the UR824 in particular.

The line outs do not appear to be usable as sends in any DAW other than Cubase. This is Vendor Lock In and it honestly a disgraceful move on Steinbergs part. One that has my interface listed on the market and will have me staying away from, and warning my peers about Steinberg hardware and software in the future unless resolved. If you want to learn more about the issue, read any of the several other users experiencing this issue. I bumped several of their threads and posted my own here https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=145911.

Hope the Windows trick helped you with your initial issue.

1 Like

nope, compatibility tweak didn’t work for me.

In Windows 10 Pro (Version 1909) on a Surface Pro 3:

1. In File Explorer go to “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steinberg UR824” or wherever your dspMixFx shortcut is.
  2. Right-click on dspMixFx UR824 and select Properties.
  3. Select the Compatibility tab and click on Change high DPI settings.
  4. Tick Override high DPI scaling behaviour and set Scaling performed by to System (Enhanced) in the drop-down.
  5. Click OK twice.

Steinberg dspMixFX should now appear much larger with a better resolution.

8 Likes

OMG, I could give you a hug! I’m on the Lenovo Yoga laptop and doing what you wrote works!!
Thank you, I owe you one.
Still, it’s really huh “pathetic” that Steinberg would not have this working properly. Also, like you said, it’s a “better resolution” (I can actually use it now), but not that much bigger.
Again, thank you so much.

3 Likes