Ducking the reverb

I’m trying to use the Cubase compressor to duck the reverb on a vocal track that I have. (I’m wanting the vocal track to trigger the compressor in order to diminish the reverb when the singer is singing.) But I don’t think I’m setting it up right.

I created an FX track for the reverb effect (Large Living Room, one of the reverb presets in Roomworks SE), and then I put the regular Cubase compressor as an insert in that FX track. I opened the compressor window and turned on the side-chain input. On the vocal track, I created a new send effect and sent it to the compressor. I set the send level to unity and selected pre-fader. I hit play, but there was no reverb tail at all on the vocal track. It seemed like I could hear reverb only during the time that the singer was singing, which is the opposite of what I was trying to do. I tried varying both the compression ratio and the threshold, but still no reverb tail. BTW, I’ve tried listing the compressor as an insert in the FX track both before and after the reverb effect, but it didn’t seem to work either way. Does anyone know what I’m I doing wrong? Do you have to set up the compressor and reverb in separate FX tracks, and if so, how do you link the vocal, compressor and reverb tracks together?

Cubase 6, Version 6.0.2, 64 bit, updated to 6.0.7. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS. PC with 6 GB of RAM and an AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor, 2.90 GHz. Tascam US-1641 audio interface.

Just to make sure: According to your explanation, you have not set up a regular send to the Reverb…?

No, I guess I haven’t. Just to make sure I understand, I need to list the reverb track as a send on the vocal track, just like I normally would if I wanted to have reverb on the vocal track - and also do everything else that I listed in my post - was everything else that I was doing correct? Thanks.

Just to make sure I understand, I need to list the reverb track as a send on the vocal track, just like I normally would if I wanted to have reverb on the vocal track

Yes

and also do everything else that I listed in my post

Yes

was everything else that I was doing correct?

As far as I can see: Yes

Yep, that’s what I was missing. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. Thanks!

You´re welcome…