Due to recent thread from Steinberg about changing the licensing system

Yes, let’s make this about iZotope’s subscription plan. Good thinking.

2 Likes

Hmm… I use some iZotope stuff that I really like, but I hadn’t read they were phasing out updates in general. Wouldn’t be good for me given I’m an amateur, and only work on my own stuff in spurts, based on whatever else is going on in my life. And even as an iZotope user, I don’t want to change constantly. I need to take time to figure out how to use new features, which I don’t always have. I would think professional users would work the same way.

Hoping Mattias is correct that Steinberg is not going prescription and eliminating upgrades. You would think that all these companies could figure out pricing for non-subscribers to catch up in one go. I tend to upgrade Cubase about every other major release, and honestly, I’ve never learned how to use a lot of the new features because I’m focused on other things, like composing and performing.

@MattiasNYC is correct.

…even here in the lounge a useless debate based on incorrect assumptions is beyond pointless, and generates misinformation.

2 Likes

OK, thanks Steve.

@Matthias_Quellmann
Can you answer me if, when I buy the cubase update to 11 I will be able to get an “old fashioned” license for my dongle for all Bugfix updates for the 11 circle (not 11.5) even if the new scheme will be introduced during the lifespan of that version?
Thanks in advance.

That’s the ONLY kind of license you can get. And as Steinberg has told us several times, they have no intention of messing with the installed base.

This should be a new aptitude test for joining the forum

1 Like

Did I ask any of you ?
I know what a licence I get today.
I want to know if a theoretical version 11.3.20 in november stay with the dongle when the new scheme will be introduced (theoretically ) in August

And aren’t you able to comprehend a complete post? Seems so as you only quoted a part of it and made a stupid reply…

@folkfreak please accept my deepest apology.

I will certainly guard my words closely when in your presence so as not to offend you with any gibberish that may fall from my lips. I only hope you will find it in your heart to forgive my recent transgression.

folkfreak, do you need a hug?

I missed the announcement / couldn’t respond to the thread before it got locked. Is this the only thread for discussing the upcoming licensing system? Would love to give feedback. Namely:

Dongle or no dongle, any license system needs to be quick, dead simple, and easy to use. Period. I am a longtime Cubase (and now Nuendo user) but I will say I absolutely dread buying new Steinberg products due to the painful authorization process. (I literally spent hours trying to purchase and authorize the Nuendo 11 upgrade.)

As an example of a good system, I will say the best software authorization system I’ve experienced is with Native Instruments software. Rock solid and easy-to-use. Never a problem and I think you can even install on two computers.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Arturia used to use th e-Licenser:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/activationorregistration/protection-by-product

Could Steinberg emulate what Arturia have done with thier Software Centre? Arturia’s set up is great by the way. You can install on up to 5 machines. You can also remove from any listed machine and then free up a license to put elsewhere. It’s also your download portal. In most cases you wouldn’t use up 5 machines. Great hassle free system!

The only thing that concerns me at the moment is I might need to buy a dongle as I want to use Cubase Elements on a second computer – so the announcement has me wondering about the timeline of the new system.

Here is what happened to me.
I am a Tv/Film composer working in Hollywood.

I was working on a recoding date at a studio with live orchestra and synth (daw) driven.
My Mac Pro 5.1 quit. So i have a backup. I tried to use it but it needed online activation. The studio and director gave the musicians a “15” min break. All on the clock costing thousands of dollars. I had to try to get an internet connection to use my PAID FOR IN FULL software. I use dongles Ilok and e-licnecers for Vienna and Stienberg products in the past and assumed that just moving the dongle would have me up and running. But not the case. I could not get Cubase to run without calling on the phone, and spending hrs and days waiting for tech support. It cost me 1000 Times what the upgrade cost me because This online BS is BS.
I know allot have excuses, and “You should have” but in reality this will never ever work for us paid union SAG/AFTRA/Local 49, composers in the professional world. We need a solution that is finite, no Internet connection required. an old School validation like MOTU DP does, where you get a DVD and license code. I could careless if it has a dongle, or insert with a License Ilok bing bang codes. I need to own my software! And have a DVD backup with codes to reactivate it without internet or the company having control of my activation. I am too old, work in in environment where instant usage is required.

I love Stienberg products, have been using since their company started. But i will no longer use them. Not because they are a “Bad” product! I am using older versions that work on dongle until they no longer work. I have switched back to Logic and MOTU DP because they allow me, the customer to determine where, when, how, and no internet to activate them. Bottom line is i own them, do not need some company on the end of a internet connection controlling when, where, why, how i install there products i purchased.

This was the most expensive learning experience i have had in my entire career. Not to ever happen again. I am so angry and upset for not realizing how these things sold as “Customer easy, improvement, simple” solutions are really about ultimate control. Stripping me of my ownership rights, usage, and income producing job. No matter how you want to frame it. It takes away my ability to own my software, use it when i want, where i want and how i want. Imagine having to wait for Ford to approve you using your car when your battery went dead. or because it broke down on the hwy. You cant call ford because you don’t have a cell phone, but even though you purchased the Ford car, and paid $78,000 for it, you cant use it because Ford requires you to be online, wait and get authorized to use it when ever you breakdown, or battery goes dead, or want to add something to it. Ford would never sell an vehicle again.

I support Steinberg in their “Quest” to switch users in their Marketing longterm goal of subscription fees based services, but duping users to believe that this new system is for their benefit is a total joke! If this was true, then why not send a DVD or thumb drive with software purchased and license codes printed on a card. Just like others have done for years with zero frustration. It’s really sad to see what happens to companies when "“Suits” and marketing take over. E-Mu Systems, IBM. Chevy, all gone to China and big corporations.

I love Steinberg! But will no longer purchase upgrades, or updates that require online activation. I only purchase products that i can activate on my systems when i need too. If my computer breaks, or dies, i need a Thumb drive, DVD, dongle etc and a card with codes to reactivate without internet. Then ia will buy. Its my choice! not yours. I am the one with the money called the customer. History has taught us that when companies take customers choices away, they company goes away. The customer is always right! I have spoke with many others who no longer will put their career online because some “Suit” decided to force users to use a new system that only benefits them.

3 Likes

You can be mad at Steinberg but if it costs you a lot of money if your computer breaks down, perhaps its better to be mad at yourself. If you don’t have a backup system ready to work, there is always a risk. You did not do anything to avoid that risk.
You can have more than one computer with a licence, so your expensive learning experience should learn you to have a backup system. For a tv/film composer working in Hollywood surely that shouldn’t be so difficult?

So what other software could you have used, that wouldn’t require this?

Pro Tools.

I have 5 FIVE backup macs. Your to ignorant, lack any professional experience or have never worked on projects worth millions of dollars. Too understand the issue. I have a million dollar cartage company that can drive anywhere and even buy me a new mac if studio burns down.
I have two techs on staff, used to work at apple. I am sponsored by other large music instrument company’s. “My fault “ happened in my naïve college years! The problem is i am NOT going to be hostage to a online activation subscription service. That works fine for people who sit at home and enjoy composing for fun. Not in the real world where millions of dollars are at stake. They put security updates not explaining to users that you need to validate your license now with online activation. Duping victims (customers) into thinking there e-licensers still work. But in fact the bug fix update had a payload embedded deactivating your product without telling you. You find out when you try to use it.
Then when you go back to download the version before that keeps your already owned product working with usb dongle its NOT available for download. You must call Steinberg support, or email and wait for days to get a special link to re-set your license back to e-licenser that you already had. And its not a version hop like 11 to 12!!! Its like 11.2 or 11.1 Its still on dongle, but Steinberg made updates to bypass it! So it comes down to Software like Protools, Motu DP, Logic, Sonar etc. that work with license codes on card or box and dvd . EVERY OTHER DAW that are used in professional working environment does NOT need this realtime authentication! They would be out of business if they did that. Company’s go to subscription services so you no longer own your software. Its PURLEY a marketing ploy to force you into subscription service. That works! But NEVER for professionals.
My fault? Yes i should never have purchased any Steinberg updates, products with new subscription services instead of e-licenser or activation codes printed on a card. And i should have Never updated a daw system from Steinberg that hid update that kills e-licenser usage even though the update did NOT say on it anywhere that it would brick your computer daw. Without calling steinberg, to get a “special” link to the same update that unlocks you daw. It does not matter how many backups you have. It does not matter that you have 15 Cubase pro licenses for your composing business and have 7 mac pros. Or have 20 dongles, ilocks backup dongles etc. If you update even a older version of wave-lab, Cubase, Neuendo. with any bug, security updates it bricks your software from using existing authorized license on dongle. And the only way to get it is to email Steinberg support, or call and wait for two-five days to get a “special link” that is not available unless you call or email to fix your box. If you restore from backup, then it bricks and says you have no valid license even though you have 20 licenses on Dongle! Even though you did nothing but restore from backup. Or have a backup machine(s) cloned.
They all will not work, and tequire this new Steinberg activation online WITH your e-licenser.

Its not the answer. Just either use old versions, or switch to a company that values you and your professional needs. Support was kind. The “Suits” have ruined Steinberg and products with this subscription service sold as a customer .”feature”

Isn’t that subscription only?

No but all new Steinberg products that do not use dongle require internet to activate. And will brick your box without authentication when you use it. They switched to this so they can force users to be on a subscription pay to play model. Its taught in business school. Its the “new” cash flow game. Its not to improve your customers workflow, or make it simple.
Its so sad as every company that went this route fails. Or ends up being a amateur software sold at Walmart. I truly truly loved Steinberg products! But can no longer use them in my professional job. Until they switch back to their old dongles, and or like Motu DP, Logic, Protools with just codes and no dongles .

1 Like