Duplicate a part for alternate transposition

My C Trumpet and Piano Score is done. My C Trumpet part is done. Now I want to create another part that uses the exact same music and layout that is on the C Trumpet part, but transpose it for Bb trumpet, so the players have a choice to play from a C part or a Bb part. What is the best way to do this? I know how to add a solo instrument, etc. but I just want to duplicate the C Tpt part I have and transpose it to BbTpt. I couldn’t find this on the forum, thanks!

In this particular instance (when the 2nd layout is a C instrument), there is a neat solution:

• Create a new layout with the same player and flows
  • Go to layout options (ctrl/cmd + shift + L) > Players > Untick ‘Transposing layout’

All changes made in Engrave mode are layout specific, so you will have to redo them in the other layout.

I would love to have an option to set any transposition for a layout in the future.

We do intend to add the ability to have an existing layout show up in another transposition in future. We know this is an important requirement, especially for wind and concert bands.

Fantastic!

My workaround, I saved the final document with the C Trumpet part with a different name. Then in the new document, in Setup, I changed the C Trumpet to a Bb Trumpet…poof, done. Only needed minor edits to fix a few collisions. Hope that saves someone else some time. :slight_smile:

This is high on my list of useful additions, too.

The wind band application is an obvious one, but also in teaching it’s very common to want to write something out and have it immediately available in C/Bb/Eb/F, but also in treble/bass clef, with different octave transpositions for bass/tuba etc.

An ideal set of per-layout options would include:

• transposition

• clef

• up/down by x octaves

• up/down by y octaves to provide the best fit for the written notes within a nominated range (perhaps with a prefer higher/prefer lower toggle where the range is too wide to fit, or where there’s a choice of two octaves which both fit).

I was able to bodge together something in Sibelius by creating custom instruments with bizarre transpositions and using ‘Copy and change instrument’ to create a self-transposing template, but I’d like to imagine that Dorico could do it a lot more flexibly and elegantly.

It seems to me that making two Full Score layouts, a working score to contain all possible instrument iterations and a conductors score that leaves out “duplicate” parts would let you copy and paste a tenor part to a viola part to a sax part. you could adjust the transpositions as you wish and then include whatever parts you wanted in the conductor layout and distribute the “part” in the appropriate transposition to your players or students.

I often use this to generate the full orchestral score & parts and the piano/vocal score from the same file, and I find it very convenient.

The problem with this is that you have to redo the layout for every transposed part.

I’m afraid I’m not one of those people that lets Dorico make all the casting off decisions - besides page turn considerations Dorico does not take into account phrasing considerations. For example, it’s best to have a difficult passage all on one line, if possible.

I recently had a project with many small repeats that included an anacrusis. Dorico often ended a system with just a repeat bar and eighth rest.

We expect to have a feature to copy the formatting (e.g. system and frame breaks, etc.) from one layout to another in the relatively near future, which will help with at least some parts of this. However, as I’ve said before, it is still very much in our plans to have a means of duplicating a layout and using another transposition, without requiring any of these workarounds (though it’s worth saying that the actual breaks etc. in that additional layout would also be independent, so copying the formatting from one layout to another might still be an important part of this workflow).

I’m looking forward very much to a decent implementation of this feature. Another example are trombone players. Depending on their background they either prefer bass clef concert pitch or treble clef in Bb octave up (treble clef without a small 8). So far to my knowledge it’s only Finale that has a straightforward way to do this.

Heinz

How far are we on this now?

There’s no automatic or built-in feature to do this yet, but since Daniel’s last comment, the functionality has been added to copy formatting between layouts.

So it’s quite easy to duplicate the music to a different player/instrument and copy the formatting from your initial layout to the new one. Just check whether there are any new collision problems and you should be good to go.

Is there a way yet to have several parts for one player with different transpositions?
It is a dangerous practice to copy music to another player as all new changes to the music would not apply to the extra parts!

PIeter, there hasn’t been a Dorico update since the 28th of December, so everything in this thread is still relevant.

I just purchased the update to Dorico 3. Very cool! Wishing, though, that it had the features listed in this thread. Different transpositions for different layouts. As well as the ability to create your own transpositions for instruments. I would use both of these frequently.

I just purchased the update to Dorico 3. Very cool! Wishing, though, that it had the features listed in this thread. Different transpositions for different layouts. As well as the ability to create your own transpositions for instruments. I would use both of these frequently.

I would highly appreciate this feature as well (different transpositions for one player). I used it very often in Finale for lead sheets for all transposing instruments.

Was wondering if this feature has been implemented (and I just can’t find it), or if it’s still on the “to do” list.I ran into a need for this as well. I want certain flows in my project to exist in two different keys (one is the “real” key, the other is the “Neil” key for when I have to sing it).

And for copying the part layout & formatting, see here.