Duplicate measures numbers -- Is this possible?

Well, obviously, it is, although I have no idea how this happened.
To be clear, I did not intentionally try to create a score with two measure #96’s.
Adjacent measures are numbered correctly

I’ve seen this happen when a measure is not Full. That is, it doesn’t have the full number of beats as dictated by the Time Sig.

Hmmm… These misnumberings are occurring in several locations, all of which are near to meter changes, and all of which are in regions where I just copied material from another flow.
The measures all seem to have the correct # of beats, but still, I think you’re definitely on the right track. Thanks.

Something is amiss here. Look at your rests. And some measures are missing rests entirely. There’s some meter problems going on. You’d need to share the project or a larger screenshot to diagnose it.

Is the meter in this example really 15/16? It looks suspicious with explicit rest durations both before and after the signpost. What happens if you select and delete the double barline?

The meter is [4+4+2]/4, although for debug purposes here, I think we can assume 10/4.

As you guys mention, yes, I see that a 16th of a beat seems to be on the wrong side of the barline between the two measures 96. No idea why, but I agree that that seems to be a significant clue.

FWIW, Dorico frequently does not insert rests into an empty measure, something I’ve thought of mentioning on this forum in the past. What what I’m seeing now, though, is something new.

I’m wondering if Mark is onto something, with his double-barline suggestion. Perhaps Dorico does not always ensure that a bar contains the correct # of beats on one side of a double barline; or perhaps does not do so when a flow that has more than one meter is copied into another flow. Making debug a little trickier is the fact that this piece contains a lot of double-bars at the points where meters change (which sometimes coincide with boundaries between different sections of music). That doesn’t immediately explain the measure-numbering anomalies, but these three responses are enough to get me pointed in the right direction.

I’ll do a little experimentation and if I find anything interesting, I’ll report them here.
Thanks, guys.

If you’re adding or changing time signatures in music where there are already existing time signatures further on in the piece, Dorico indeed won’t create extra beats before subsequent time signatures. This is to maintain the relationships between notes/rests etc relative to each other, either side of the next time signature.

If you want complete final bars in such circumstances, make sure Insert mode is active when you add/change earlier time signatures.

In Dorico-language, any barline that’s an override of the default “barline pattern” is technically a time signature.

Lillie, I was referring to the measures that Mark pointed out, which contain no rests at all, not merely the wrong number of beats.

I haven’t inserted any arbitrary barlines into this piece . And this content was added to the end of an existing flow. I understand that changing meter in the interior measures of a flow has to be done carefully and found that copying content from one flow to another doesn’t copy meter changes. But in the past, when adding those changes manually, after a copy, everything lined up correctly. This time, apparently, either Dorico or I got confused…

Ah right, I see you’re talking about rests not appearing where they should, rather than “adding rests” meaning in terms of time/duration.

For those situations, check whether the last visible note/rest on the offending staves has the “Starts voice”/“Ends voice” properties activated. These properties work in tandem to suppress rests between them.

Lillie, that’s new to me. How do I tell if a note has “Starts Voice”/“Ends voice” properties activated?

You can select it, and look in the Properties panel for the relevant property: if its toggle is on, and the text is bright, it’s active.

– CORRECTED –

“Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?”

You’re gonna love this. Just booted up Dorico and and the measure-numbering issue has corrected itself.

The two bars 96 still each contained 39/16, so I expressly specified the correct meter in the 2d “96” bar – adding a sixteenth, to get things back to 4+4+2 (or 10/4) – allowing Dorico to then automatically shift the first 16th of content from bar 97 to the end of the 2d bar 96. And everything just lined up, including even the preceding (“first bar 96, now bar 95”) measure. The score looks normal now.

One pleasant surprise: All of this did not change the numbering of measures appearing after bar 96. I can’t replicate the original problem now, but apparently, Dorico had incorrectly identified bar 95 as bar 96.

Anyway, problem over, and thanks again to everybody who responded with suggestions & advice.